LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – A cold weather alert for the Antelope Valley was extended Thursday to go through Monday due to wind-chill temperatures expected to fall below 32 degrees at night.
“Children, the elderly, and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during cold weather,” Los Angeles County Health Officer Dr. Muntu Davis said. “Extra precaution should be taken to ensure they don’t get too cold when they are outside.”READ MORE: City Of LA Expands Eligibility To Residents 16 And Older, County Announces New Household Vaccination Effort
Davis urged the public to take precautions to protect against the cold, including dressing in layers of warm clothing if spending time outdoors, and protecting the head, hands, and feet from the cold by wearing a hat, scarf, gloves, and socks.
Check frequently on and help family members, friends, and neighbors with limited mobility and limited access to heat, such as seniors or those who are ill, and bring pets indoors overnight.
Davis also warned of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, noting that people should avoid using stoves, barbecues, or ovens to heat their homes, and should install a detector for the odorless gas.READ MORE: Man Suffers Critical Burns After Large Explosion At Valley Glen Home
People exposed to cold weather for prolonged periods can lose body heat and develop hypothermia. Symptoms vary depending on how long a person is exposed to cold temperatures, but early symptoms include shivering, fatigue, loss of coordination, and confusion and disorientation. Late symptoms of hypothermia include no shivering, blue skin, dilated pupils, slowed pulse and breathing, and loss of consciousness.
People exposed to extremely cold weather conditions, such as places where it snows and where freezing occurs, may be at risk of frostbite, which results in loss of feeling and color in affected areas. The most common affected areas are the nose, ears, cheeks, chin, fingers, or toes.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain, and nausea. Exposure to high levels could lead to death within minutes.
Those who need shelter can take advantage of the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority’s Winter Shelter Program and can go to http://www.lahsa.org or call the 2-1-1 information line. For the deaf and hard of hearing, call the TDD line at 1-800-660-4026.MORE NEWS: LASD Deputies Disperse Large Crowd In East LA
(© Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. City News Service contributed to this report.)