By CBSLA Staff

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – Sheriff Alex Villanueva is challenging Lakers star LeBron James to contribute to efforts to find the gunman who shot two Los Angeles County deputies at point-blank range.

Villanueva made the challenge during an interview on a local radio show Monday.

There are two private pledges totaling $75,000, in addition to the $100,000 from the county, but the sheriff is calling on James to kick in $175,000 or even $350,000.

“I want to make a challenge…to LeBron James,” he said. “I want you to match that and double that reward because I know you care about law enforcement.

“You expressed a very interesting statement on race relations and officer-involved shootings and the impact that it has on the African-American community and I appreciate that, but likewise, we need to appreciate that respect for life goes across professions, races, creeds, and I’d like to see LeBron James step up to the plate and double that.”LA County Sheriff Calls On LeBron James To ‘Step Up To The Plate’, Double Reward To Find Gunman In Deputy Ambush

It’s unclear specifically which statement Villanueva was referring to, but James has publicly condemned the police shootings of George Floyd, Jacob Blake, and others in recent months, saying African Americans are “scared”.

There was no immediate response from James to the sheriff’s challenge.

Comments (61)
  1. Steve says:

George Floyd wasn’t shot

1. Correct. He had overdosed on lethal drugs. Mainline media will not report that fact.

2. Mark Anderson says:

Gosh, doesn’t his twitterness have more money?

3. Mike says:

I challenge Sheriff Villanueva to do something about the rampant corruption in his department. Joe Britton? Or how about the gangs within the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department? Compton Executioners? Lynwood Vikings? 3000 Boys? Perhaps they would have more reward money to offer if they weren’t forking up so much money for the lawsuits dealing with police misconduct.

1. You have two innocent deputy’s fighting for their lives. Ambushed. Put yourself in the place of a cop. You most likely could not handle the job.

1. BoomersSuck says:

“innocent” pfft.

2. Rob Fredrickson says:

Boomer, you need to think before you tell someone what they know. I’m guessing it’s you who knows nothing about being a cop. Either go to Academy or shut up.

3. So BOOM BOOM BELINDA, I’m going to ASSUME you are a cop. As a reporter, I spoke to two VERY HIGH RANKING COPS. They told me the average White cop is someone who was bullied as a youth and more than likely comes from a racist background. The gentlemen said the average minority cop was a BULLY. So it reads like in both cases, most Cops (not all) are weak ass humans.

4. DavidRClay says:

I am making $125 per hour working online on my laptop among my family. I continue doing work in my room talking to them. Its too easy to complete it no experience or skill required. You just need internet connection and PC/Laptop. For more information visit……..Read More

5. Temitope says:

Praying for true deliverance in this matter and all matters not of peace and love

6. mathematicaster says:

If it’s wrong for a cop to play judge, jury, and executioner when his life isn’t in peril, no citizen should play judge, jury, and executioner when his life isn’t in peril. These don’t strike me as complicated issues.
    If the Sheriff wants LeBron to pay money, what’s he gonna offer in return? How about get rid of the cop union. That should be work a lot of money to the Black community.

7. Joe says:

Is there proof this crime was committed by an African-American/black person?

1. Dale says:

Well since most blacks are thugs who commit the majority of crimes, it’s a safe bet 🙂

1. Well most whites are rapist, stole other peoples land, murderers on every continent, voted for a man who said “I probably want make it to Heaven, and TRASH.

8. Hold on. The sherrif is publicly asking a private citizen to put up reward money to catch a criminal? That’s messed up.

1. That “private ” citizen uses his podium for his causes. No harm being called out when his cause doesn’t jive with the real world.

9. james says:

So think about this…
    The LA County sheriff is asking LeBron James to contribute 19.3 minutes of what he earns per game to help. SERIOUSLY! Can LeBron afford to help out LA with less than 20 minutes of his on court pay?!?!

1. kay20 says:

why is he calling on Lebron to make the donation? why not donald trump or any random rich person that has made a political statement?

10. Laquinica Mayweather says:

LeBron is not going to step up. He hates cops and everything they stand for. Hope he never needs one. I guess I’m one of the few black people who was taught to respect authority. I’ve been stopped by police. They treated me with the same respect I treated them and as a result I’ve never had a problem with the police. All these sports figures and celebrities need to get over themselves and stop stirring up trouble.

11. What a dumb statement to make. Police officers have been murdering black men since the days of when officers were overseers. There is absolutely no comparrison between Blacks murdering cops and cops murdering blacks. Tell ya what cop, if you give the same percentage of your dollars to Black Lives Matter, then maybe Bron will give a similar amount of his dollars for your cause. If you have an issue with that, then STFU!

1. Victor says:

More whites die at the hand of police and that’s a fact so you, China bron and blm STFU!

1. Here’s another fact for you Trash, based on the population (dumb ass), Blacks are three times more likely to get murdered by cops. In addition, Black cops almost never kill whites, although their is no worse criminal in the history of the world than whites.

2. Jonas says:

Police kill more whites than black, dumb fu@k – and when they DO kill blacks it’s usually justified since blacks commit all the crime. And blacks kill white people all the time. You are obviously a delusional negro-loving loser 🙂

12. Jon says:

This sheriff is an embarrassment to LA. He has much bigger things on his plate than childishly picking schoolyard fights with athletes.

13. Howard Seaton says:

Here is what you will hear from LaBron James about how much he will kick in to help catch the thug that shot the two police officers: I quote………….

14. Billskicpl Snark says:

for the racist, fascist LA county supervisors, the lives of andres guardado and Dijon kizzee did not matter. perhaps these supervisors needs visits from BLM and ANTIFA?