LOS ANGELES (CBSLA/AP) – On Thursday, director of photography Halyna Hutchins was killed when actor Alec Baldwin discharged a prop gun on a movie set in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
The shooting occurred on the set of the independent Western movie “Rust.”READ MORE: Pelicans Top Clippers Again, 123-104; Valanciunas Scores Career-High 39,
Hutchins, 42, was rushed by helicopter to a hospital, where she died. The director of “Rust,” 42-year-old Joel Souza, was also injured in the shooting, but survived.
The circumstances are under investigation. Its still unclear if Baldwin’s gun was loaded with blanks or live ammunition.READ MORE: Chanukah Celebrations Stress Message Of "Light Over Darkness" In Trying Times
There have been several notable accidents on television and film sets over the years, some involving guns.
Here are a few:
- 1984: Actor Jon-Erik Hexum died after shooting himself in the head with a prop gun blank while pretending to play Russian roulette with a .44 Magnum on the set of the television series “Cover Up.”
- 1993: Actor Brandon Lee, son of the late martial-arts star Bruce Lee, died at the age of 28 after being hit by a .44-caliber slug while
filming a death scene for the movie “The Crow.” The gun was supposed to have fired a blank, but an autopsy turned up a bullet lodged near his spine. On Thursday, Lee’s sister Shannon tweeted: “Our hearts go out to the family of Halyna Hutchins and to Joel Souza and all involved in the incident on ‘Rust.’ No one should ever be killed by a gun on a film set. Period.”
- 2014: Assistant camera operator Sarah Jones was struck and killed by a train on the Georgia set of “Midnight Rider,” an unreleased film about rock star Gregg Allman. The director, Randall Miller, pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and served jail time.
- 2014: While filming “Star Wars: Episode VII,” a door of the Millennium Falcon spacecraft fell on actor Harrison Ford and broke his leg, requiring him to undergo surgery.
- 2015: Two pilots were killed and a third injured in a small plane crash on the set of the Tom Cruise movie “American Made” in Columbia. Alan Purwin, a movie and stunt pilot, was killed, along with Venezuelan crew member Carlos Berl. Jimmy Lee Garland ,a pilot from Georgia, was badly hurt, but survived.
- 2017: Stuntwoman Joi “SJ” Harris died on the Vancouver set of “Deadpool 2” while performing a stunt on a motorcycle. Harris hit a curb, was thrown off the bike, and went through a plate glass window, according to eyewitnesses and an official report after the crash.
- 2017: Stuntman John Bernecker died after a 22-foot fall from a balcony on “The Walking Dead” set in Georgia. In 2019, a jury awarded his family more than $8 million in damages in a wrongful death lawsuit.
(© Copyright 2021 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)