LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — The Kibare family was picking up some last minute pies Tuesday night for the Thanksgiving holiday.
They’re planning to celebrate with a close bubble of friends they have seen throughout the coronavirus pandemic.READ MORE: Deputy Outraged At District Attorney Charges Filed In Santa Clarita Slain Mother, Michelle Dorsey, Case
“We wouldn’t meet any new people, kind of just keep it to maybe just six people that we typically — well, it would be like three households — sitting out on a patio, so maybe that will cover it,” the mother said.
Just last week, Los Angeles County health officials said Thanksgiving gatherings were allowed as long as they were limited to three households, held outside and did not last more than two hours.
But now, L.A. County Public Health Director Dr. Barbara Ferrer is telling people to cancel those plans and asked the L.A. County Board of Supervisors to approve new restrictions — as COVID-19 cases continue to surge faster than ever.
“At this point in time, our metrics are the most alarming metrics we have ever seen,” she said.
On Wednesday, the L.A. County Public Health Department could issue new safer-at-home restrictions banning all gatherings — even those held outdoors — of people not in the same household.READ MORE: 'This Is The Time To Transition': LAUSD Supt. Austin Beutner To Step Down When His Contract Ends In June
“The risk at this point is that overwhelming the healthcare system is now a very real possibility,” Ferrer said.
Some of the restrictions Ferrer proposed Tuesday include no public or private gatherings of people not in the same household, outdoor permitted activities limited to 50% capacity, indoor essential retail at 35% capacity and indoor non-essential retail at 20% capacity.
None of the supervisors responded to multiple requests for comment on the proposal.
But, for some who know the toll COVID-19 can take, the boards’ decision will not impact them since they’ve already made the decision to cancel their plans.
“We’ve actually lost friends and, you know, family members,” Brenda Casas said. “We’ve had friends and family in the hospital, so we’re aware that it’s here.”
Casas said she hopes to see her friends and family next year when it’s safe for everyone.
“I want to see them this year, and it’s more important for me to see them next year and the year beyond than this year,” she said.MORE NEWS: Friends Of The LA River Plans Huge Summer Cleanup; County Seeks Comment On Master Plan
If the board approves the proposed restrictions, the only gatherings allowed would be outdoor church services and outdoor protests — though they would both have to adhere to social distancing and face covering guidelines.