SAN BERNARDINO (CBSLA) – An armed man was shot and killed by a San Bernardino police officer during a violent confrontation which was caught on video late Thursday night.

The shooting occurred in the 200 block of West Base Line Street outside King Tut Liquor.

Cell phone video shows a San Bernardino police officer shooting a suspect during a struggle. Oct. 22, 2020. (LLN)

Cell phone video showed the officer and the suspect wrestling on the ground before the officer stands, produces a gun and opens fire on the suspect several times.

The victim was identified as 35-year-old Mark Matthew Bender Jr. of San Bernardino.

The incident began at 11:16 p.m. when an officer was dispatched to the liquor store on a report of a man who was jumping on vehicles in the parking lot, San Bernardino police Sgt. John Echevarria told reporters Friday morning.

The arriving officer gave the suspect commands to surrender, which the suspect ignored. When the suspect tried to enter into the liquor store, with customers inside, the officer moved to restrain him, Echevarria said.

“The suspect was large in size and was able to physically overpower the officer,” Echevarria said. “The suspect retrieved a weapon from his pocket and was turning to face the officer. At that time, an officer-involved shooting occurred.”

Body camera video released Friday afternoon shows the moments leading up to that deadly physical altercation. (San Bernardino PD)

In the video, the officer can be heard saying, “Hey, yo, man come here,” while pointing his gun at Bender.

“Why you got a gun on me,” Bender yells, while continuing to walk away from the officer.

“Let me see your hands,” the officer yells.

Bender briefly puts his hands in the air, before quickly dropping them in an apparent effort to pull his pants up. The officer then walks up to Bender and attempts to restrain him as Bender yells, “Don’t touch me.”

The officer manages to get Bender onto the ground. The pair wrestled briefly before getting back to their feet. The officer then fired four rounds. Bender was struck multiple times and died after being taken to a hospital.

A loaded 9mm handgun was recovered at the scene. The gun was not registered, police said.

Mark Matthew Bender Jr. (San Bernardino Police Department)

Echevarria noted that the officer spotted the gun during the fight.

“The officer saw the weapon, and during the struggle, was able to disengage during that fight for control of that suspect, and was able to back away and protect himself by discharging his weapon,” Echevarria said.

Bender had a criminal history going back 17 years, Echevarria said, with arrests for allegations of attempted murder, false imprisonment, domestic violence, theft and possession of narcotics.

Several people came out and protested in the hours immediately following the shooting, and then again later Friday morning.

“You can’t justify a murder because he had a gun,” neighbor John Anderson said. “He had a gun, if he did, to protect themselves, probably from them. They’re the ones doing the damage, they’re the ones doing the hurt.”

The San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office is involved in the investigation.

Comments (33)
  1. Joe says:

Oh my goodness! The police shot an armed man? How dare they?

Let’s protest the shooting of a violent ARMED man! Get a clue people. It’s clearly not the police, it’s the armed felons with guns.

2. Bob says:

Remember when the news just reported facts. not opinion.. Tina reported ” looks like a phone”
    Reporters in the U.S are no different than Goverment news in china or Russia..

3. Tom Jones says:

Thank you CBS for airing the video of all the uneducated savages in that area.

4. Canof Sand says:

Unarmed men can be dangerous, as well. This entire narrative is a farce. Actually unjustified killings by cops are very rare, and if you subtract accidents, they’re EXTREMELY rare. The bigots are those judging cops and America, not the people they baselessly call “racist.” The only systemic racism in this country is of the type that the DOJ is currently investigating in higher education (but needs to be investigated in far more places) — quotas and similar.

1. F. Wood says:

Thank you for your reply. I agree. The media have flamed the discontent and false narrative that is prevalent today. In my opinion the curriculum in public schools should be investigated as well, it seems to me they are being indoctrinated to concentrate on race in a negative way. No child of any race should be made to feel guilty about the actions of their respective races in the past. “White privilege” as commonly discussed and accepted as “real” is from a paper by a woman with a Ph.d. The content of her paper which inspired national acceptance of “white privilege” is called “Male and White Privilege” (Peggy McIntosh 1988). It contains her personal opinions in 46 statements, here are a sample:

17.I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.
      18.I can swear, or dress in secondhand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the illiteracy of my race.
      19.I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
      20.I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
      21.I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
      22.I can remain oblivious to the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world’s majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.
      23.I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.
      24.I can be reasonably sure that if I ask to talk to “the person in charge,” I will be
      facing a person of my race.

5. patkittle says:

In virtually every case where Blacks are shot by (not necessarily White) cops, the Blacks are violently resisting arrest, have long criminal records, and are posing an immediate threat.

Anti-White media agitators always spin these stories to make the Blacks look like innocent choir boys, knowing fully well what will result.