By CBSLA Staff

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – County health officials Thursday sought to clarify comments made by Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer after a recording emerged of Ferrer predicting that schools were unlikely to reopen until after the November election.

The comments were first reported by KFI AM 640, which provided an audio file of Ferrer apparently saying the reopening timeline for L.A. County would likely come sometime after the election on Nov. 3.

During a reported conference call with local educators, school nurses and other groups while discussing the upcoming flu season, Ferrer said:

“We don’t realistically anticipate that we would be moving either to Tier 2 [of California’s reopening plan] or to reopening K-12 schools at least…until after the election, after, you know, in early November. If we just look at the timing of everything, it seems to us the most realistic approach to this would be to think that we’re gonna be where we are now…until…we are done with the elections.”

In response to the comments, a L.A. County Department of Public Health (DPH) spokesperson said Ferrer’s comment “was related only to timing any expanded school re-openings to allow for enough time from the implementation of changes to assess impact prior to expansions.”

“DPH will be working closely with schools providing services and supports to high need students over the next 6-8 weeks to implement and assess safety directives and strategies for ensuring infection control and distancing. This information will be used to inform the timing of future activities at schools,” the statement added.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a statewide mandate banning students from in-class education in July. Since then, school districts in Orange County have begun planning to reopen campuses by the end of September, but LAUSD and most other districts remain closed to in-class learning.

Comments (28)
  1. sitabag says:

I am making a good salary online from home.I’ve made 97,999 dollar.s so for last 5 months working online and I’m a full time student. I’m using an online business opportunity I’m just so happy that I found out about it……..Read More

2. terryott says:

sitabag, I certainly hope that Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer is paying attention to your thoughtful suggestion regarding the online business opportunity, She may need a new gig due to her truthful “reveal” about the obvious political motives for keeping locks on the school doors. Anyone paying attention already had figured out this was the objective, of course, but it’s always nice to have it confirmed.

3. kogerenge says:

4. KR Rayberry says:

She let the cat out of the bag, she’s done!

5. Sure, why not? Covid19 knows Politics. What a frigging joke.

6. Mark McNulty says:

Vote Red, insist that health directors being elected offices. They have too much power and are in cahoots with the commies.

7. terryott says:

Mark McNulty: Hmmmm… dHealth directors being elected to office? In a place like LA County doesn’t that just mean a slew of Democrats will run against one another with no “Red” having a chance. And that’s assuming there’s at least one Red who would run for the post? I don’t know anything first hand about California politics, but in my Midwest one-party urban city/county that’s what would happen … for any elected office.

8. Posercom says:

She began to say, “until we get” and then said until after the election. I think she was about to say “until we get Trump out of office.”

9. Sue says:

She should be removed from her position immediately. Corruption at it’s clearest

10. Dee Reilman says:

This woman is using our School Children as POLITICAL PAWNS!! I’ve contacted my Supervisor & asking for a ”REFUND” on My Real Estate Taxes which supports my local school district.. This woman is APPOINTED by the L.A. County Board Of Supervisors. She has NO AUTHORITY whatsoever.

11. Pamela Randi says:

WHY IS THERE NOT OUTRAGE OVER THIS!!! BUSINESS HAVE DIED AND SCHOOL CHILDREN’S EDUCATION AND WELL BEING ARE IRREPARABLY COMPROMISED FOR ONE PARTY’S POLITICAL GAIN!!! THIS IS BAD FOR CONSITUENTS FROM ALL SIDES!!! ALL NEWSPAPERS AND NEWS SOURCES AND LOCAL LEADERS ARE COMPLICIT IN THIS DESPICABLE GAME IF THEY REFUSE TO CALL HER OUT!!!! THEY ARE SUPOOSE TO BE HELPING ABD PROTECTING THE PEOPLE NOT HURTING THEM!!!

1. Mike Oxolong says:

there is no outrage because the comment was simply a prediction based on current condition related to their reopening plan, you f****** imbecile.

2. terryott says:

Pamela, for what it’s worth I attempt to address your legitimate question in a reply to Mike Oxolong, the guy who thinks you are an imbecile, which you are obviously NOT.

12. terryott says:

First, Mr Oxolong, I wish you’d refrain from making offensive comments to/about others, like you’ve done in this case.

I have some thoughts about Randi’s question. Alternative reasons for the missing outrage if that indeed is the case. First, there MAY be outrage but journalists and media people could have chosen to not report that. Second, most potential “outragees” may no longer care to waste emotional energy on things that are “givens” and unlikely to change, in this case the politicization of the public school enterprises in one-party cities, such as the one I live in (downtown urban neighborhood). For many, as would be true if I were raising a family in LA — you move out or look for an alternative such as private nonunion or charter schooling.

Third, and my two cents: when a person such as Ms Ferrer says what she said so casually (without regard for how the words will be interpreted), it likely indicates that the subject of an upcoming election is so top of mind that her world view and perspective on many important things has been co-opted by it. She didn’t say, “in two or three months”, nor “later in this calendar year”, nor “later enough to allow for careful planning”, nor even “it’s just clear yet”. In her mind, she’s working from a political calendar because she understands that’s the prevailing sentiment in her circles.

For sports-obsessed people where I live, “Fall” (autumn) is defined by the World Series and opening of the NFL season more than by the actual calendar, the cooler weather, the noticably shorter days, or the color of the leaves. For the politically obsessed, the Barbara Sherrers of the world, the November election is paramount — even moreso than what’s good for the general public or school-aged children. Such is the reality we are stuck in.

Sorry, Pamela Randi, but you have to live with it — or get yourself to a place where people are more balanced and reasonable about matters of public policy. Do it sooner than later if you choose that course would be my advice, so as not to trampled by other Golden State departees jamming the exit ramps.

13. Greg Butler says:

EVERYONE – If you own a business in LA County, JUST OPEN! F’ing dare the militant overreaching county and city government to sue.