By CBSLA Staff

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — No trick-or-treating, no parties, no carnivals and no festivals.

These are just a few of the Halloween traditions put on hold this year in the wake of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

“Door-to-door trick-or-treating is not allowed because it can be very difficult to maintain proper social distancing on porches and at front doors especially in neighborhoods that are popular with trick or treaters,” the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health said in its recently released guidelines. “‘Trunk-or-treating’ events where children go from car to car instead of door to door to receive treats are also not allowed.”

Gatherings or parties with non-household members are not permitted, even if held outdoors, and neither are carnivals, festivals, live entertainment or haunted house attractions.

So what can families do to safely celebrate the spooky holiday?

They can participate in online parties and contests, such as costume or pumpkin carving; car parades that comply with public health guidance for vehicle-based parades; Halloween movie nights at drive-in theaters; Halloween-themed meals at outdoor restaurants; Halloween-themed art installations at an outdoor museum; and decorating homes and yards with Halloween-themed decorations.

Ron Moazzez, who has owned a costume store on Hollywood Boulevard for the last 35 years, said that he thinks people can and should still celebrate.

“People decorate their house, backyard… and [on] Hollywood Boulevard, it’s always Halloween,” he said. “There doesn’t need to be a private party.”

Alison Isbell agrees and said she will celebrate the holiday in any way she can.

“Just because people have been kind of stir crazy, pent up at home [with] not much to do, so I would think it would be a big release of fun for everybody and hopefully that’s what it is,” she said.

As with all activities, participants should be prepared to wear face coverings when outside the home, avoid confined spaces and keep their distance from others, wash or sanitize their hands frequently, clean frequently touched items regularly and stay home if they are sick or have been in contact with someone who is sick.

Comments (37)
  1. Otis Needleman says:

“They” LIE. “They” are FEARMONGERS. L.A. and L.A. County PERSECUTE CHRISTIANS. Haven’t you had enough? “They” want you AFRAID. “They” want you and your families to STARVE because they won’t let you work. YOUR children will need up to two years to catch up on their education.

The motto of L.A. and L.A. County – “You show us the person, we’ll show you the crime.”

“They” will keep this going on for years. “They” NEVER miss a paycheck, so they don’t care if you ever work again. “They” LAUGH knowing you and your family are hurting.

This turned political after two weeks. That would have been enough to find the hot spots and quarantine them plus buffer zones. Didn’t happen. Why not? Garcetti’s lust for power. That’s all. See what happens when you vote for Democrats?

Head for Texas. People are treated as human beings there, unlike L.A. and L.A. County. Just don’t bring L.A. attitudes with you.

1. I partially agreed until you got to the Texas part. You won’t find my ass heading to Texas. No thank you.

2. KarenNKarlson says:

I am making $125 per hour working online on my laptop among my family. I continue doing work in my room talking to them. Its too easy to complete it no experience or skill required. You just need internet connection and PC/Laptop. For more information visit……..Read More

3. yirmin says:

Like they are going to be able to stop trick or treating. Reality is the rules are unconstitutional the county cannot restrict free assembly of the people which is what a party at someone’s home is, which is what a trick or treating kid is doing. I expect some lawsuits on this one and the county is going to lose money on it.

4. milestocode says:

Forget Halloween for a moment, what about Christmas? When will they come out and say that Santa is banned from coming down everyone’s chimney as he could easily spread the Corona virus? /S

5. RichieRich says:

Bet the door to Planned Parenthood is open.

6. KarenNKarlson says:

I am making a good salary online from home.I’ve made 97,999 dollar.s so for last 5 months working online and I’m a full time student. I’m using an online business opportunity I’m just so happy that I found out about it……..Read More

7. frank jones says:

fascism is alive and well in CA

8. LA_NUKKA says:

Mandates are not law. These lockdowns are unconstitutional. Nothing is enforceable by law + can be tossed out of court. The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. CONJOB 19.

9. Ford HiPo says:

Suck it up LA. You voted those tyrants in.

10. busseja says:

As the southern border moves north, Halloween is not what it once was anyway. Last year I had 5 generations of Mexicans on my porch with masks and bags. The Catholic church buses them to our area. I know that isn’t fair to most but it never happened that adults trick or treated before. We will just have a neighborhood party this time. Maybe a pin ya ta.

11. What are they going to do, start arresting kids? I’m dressing mine up as a BLM rioter so I know she’ll be safe.

12. John Lobenstein says:

L.A.County in particular, and California in general, is spooky enough even without Halloween.

All their tricks are definitely not treats.

13. Lou says:

California has gone 100% bonkers.

14. Jose says:

Like Willie said, the kids should dress up like a group of rioters and the police will leave them alone. They won’t even need masks or to social distance.

15. Ernie says:

I’m sure most of the kids will be wearing a mask. Isn’t that safe enough?