LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — As more residents stay home during the coronavirus pandemic, many have found themselves baking to pass the time.

Los Angeles Unified School District shared the recipe for its legendary Old Fashioned Coffee Cake from 1954 in hopes to bring some comfort to those staying “Safer-At-Home.”

Here’s what you’ll need:

• Baker’s Flour – 2 1/2 cups
  • Brown Sugar/packed – 1 cup
  • Granulated Sugar – 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp.
  • Salt – 1 tsp.
  • Nutmeg – 1 tsp.
  • Salad (Vegetable) Oil – 3/4 cup
  • Cinnamon – 1 tsp.
  • Baking Soda – 1 tsp.
  • Baking Powder – 1 tsp.
  • Egg – 1 large
  • Buttermilk – 1 cup

The directions are as follows:

“Combine first six ingredients. Mix until crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup of the above for topping. To this add the cinnamon. Combine last four ingredients and add to the first mixture. Blend together but do not over-mix. Put in a greased 9″ x 13″ cake pan. Sprinkle the cinnamon crumb topping over the top of the batter. Bake at 350 to 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.”

Comments (7)
  1. Norman Malin says:

I am looking for the LAUSD receipt for the Raised Coffee Cake ( it was proofed over night) that was covered in a sugar glaze and had a dollop of jam on top.

2. Judi James says:

Are you sure about the directions? Seems as though the ingredients would be out of order if you’re only combining the first six…

3. Linda says:

You are making the crumb topping with the first six ingredients, pulling out half a cup and adding the cinnamon to that half cup. Then you add the leavening and wet ingredients to the rest of the dry. You don’t want baking soda in your topping!

4. Rachel says:

I ate a piece of this every day for 5 years–Hale/Canoga/ECR. It soaked grease into the serving paper!

5. Cris Reep says:

It is not often that a memory lives up to itself but this cake does!! I close my eyes and I am back at Walter Reed Jr. High!!!!

6. Gabby says:

Does anyone have the recipe for the Peanut Butter Bread that was also served? I would just love the recipe for that, if you do or know where I could get it, please have mercy on me and share!