LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — Los Angeles City Councilman David Ryu launched a renters outreach program Wednesday meant to help educate renters and landlords on their new rights during the coronavirus crisis.

In an effort to clear up confusion, Ryu and housing advocates held the first telephone town hall on the city’s eviction moratorium.

“We need relief for all Angelinos, renters, landlords,” said Ryu.

City officials said renters do have to notify their landlords in writing that they cannot pay rent due to financial hardship as a result of the pandemic, but they don’t need to show proof of it.

“You do not, let me repeat, you do not have to provide documentation to that. Nor do you have to sign an agreement saying how and when you are going to pay back the rent,” said Executive Director of Coalition for Economic Survival Larry Gross.

“It’s a good thing for people to keep their documentation in case down the road they have to prove it in court,” he said.

Last month, Mayor Eric Garcetti announced the moratorium was currently indefinite and renters would have 12 months to pay back rent once the COVID-19 emergency declaration is lifted.

“Things are constantly changing the laws are changing,” said Gross.

Advocates like Gross said the law has to change saying making tenants pay back rent is only putting them in debt.

“Not paying rent for long periods of time, that debt is going to increase,” Gross said.

Councilman Ryu’s office said the situation is still fluid.

City Council members are set to discuss these issues again in the next council meeting which has yet to be scheduled.

They are set to discuss ways to give renters, landlords, and some small business owners more long term relief.

Comments (8)
  1. ELFEGO ARANA says:

muy bien en esta situacion solamente quedariamos con mucha deuda despues de la pandemia,
    necesitamos cancelar las deudad por medio de un programa,visto Bueno para la ciudad de los angeles.ya que ahorita estamos sin empleo.

2. eugenio says:

Can someone explain why the landlords need to carry the burden?

1. Felix Arellano says:

Can someone say why the renters have to carry the burden?

3. kby says:

I love those policies! County asks $8000/yr for property tax, Bank asks $2500/mo for morgage, and now the Law just ask me to goscoolmysef when tenant don’t payup, and no proof needed, and nooo you don’t even ask for a repayment plan. Love it, btw, anyone have a house for rent?

4. James F Bunch says:

My tenants when they applied to rent showed over $2,000,000 cash in the bank and now are claiming they can’t pay their rent. Meanwhile they are “Hunkering Down” in their Vail Co. home and not paying their $5,400 a month rent here in their 2nd home my MDR Penthouse.

5. Lorena says:

Since the governor appears to only side with tenant and appears to serve tenants over property owners they should issue tenants “rent vouchers” with tenants names and addresses directly to the landlords so they can show true support to their tenants.

6. Marilu says:

What is happening to our country and state. Who are these people we stupidly voted in?
    Serving “Californias” means ALL Californians….not just the tenants. The government is making things worse with their “rent freeze” and “no evictions regardless of being effected by covid 19” regulations. They are straining the relationships between landlords and tenants. Newsom and Garcetti are creating more issues than solving anything. I wonder if they rent?

7. Nathalie says:

I think we are upset at each other because our federal, state, and local governments, with their inept and inefficient policies, do not take care of the real problem: unemployment. Remember: your tenants can’t pay because of the coronavirus Stay-at-Home orders have forced them to stop working either due to layoffs, or due to health safety concerns so their places of work have closed and they have no rights to unemployment, or unemployment is not sufficient. Of course, in those cases, the landlords cannot possibly collect rent when their tenants have no jobs through no fault of their own. It is a vicious cycle. So, landlords, you should advocate for your renters to be able to qualify for public assistance since you are the ones that will ultimate benefit from it – not the renters! Renting is, after all, dumping money for the renters, b.ut making money for the landlords.

As a rental property owner myself, I want to keep my tenants that I have but I also agree that I need to get paid. To me, the best solution is to have government agencies to funnel the money to the tenants, not the landlords. In the end, the landlords get the money anyway. Do I really want to have more vacancies in my units in the future? That would mean spending money in preparing the vacated units for the next tenants (in a coronavirus era where many people are unemployed), a possible legal battle to get them evicted, etc. It just makes no sense.

Why are we giving so much money to corporations (some of whom own rental properties, by the way) when really the ones hurting are the workers? It makes no sense to me.