LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — Scores of Kobe Bryant fans received the same email Tuesday night – they had been put on a waitlist to purchase a ticket to the NBA icon’s memorial at Staples Center.

Ticketmaster notified thousands of fans, “You’re on the Waitlist,” for Kobe and Gianna Bryant’s “A Celebration of Life” public memorial service. The event takes place 10 a.m. Monday at Staples Center.

“There has been an outpouring of love and support for A Celebration of Life for Kobe and Gianna Bryant, and the Mamba & Mambacita Sports Foundation wishes that everyone could attend the event,” the email said.

Thousands of people from Los Angeles and around the world signed for a chance to buy a ticket, exceeding the availability for the ticket release, Ticketmaster said. One report had the number of people who registered for tickets at more than 90,000. Many fans on social media seemed resigned to the notion that being waitlisted meant they would not be getting a ticket.

“To ensure the best experience, we are only able to invite a small number of fans to participate in tomorrow’s ticket release,” the email continued. “Should additional tickets become available, registrants will be randomly selected to move off the Waitlist and will be notified by text message with information on how to search for tickets.”

The elaborate sign up and waitlist process appeared to be an effort to crack down on memorial tickets being resold online.

Ticket prices range from $24.02 to $224, and proceeds will be donated to the Mamba & Mambacita Sports Foundation. They will be put up for sale at 10 a.m. and are non-transferable.

Staples Center officials say fans without a ticket to the memorial should stay home as it will not be broadcast on the outdoor screens.

Comments (8)
  1. Aiden Harris says:

Pretty sure only the Hollywood Elite were the only ones that got invited. Oh well.

1. Thor says:

Amen👍! …doesn’t seem right.

2. Ron Wilson says:

I’m really tired of all this Kobe Bryant stuff. Time to quit this barrage of old news! Give it a rest media! Enough is enough.
    BTW: This hero worship stuff is phony because Mr. Bryant was NO saint and was a cheater in his marriage!

3. Linda Lasater says:

Really Ron. You had to go there? If you don’t like reading don’t, but for thousands of people, including me, I love seeing how many people admired him as I did. No one ever said he was a saint but you need to really research before judging him. Aiden Harris, I don’t think it would be only the Hollywood elite. They said it would be his family and friends first (as well it should be) after that it would be by lottery. They can only seat 20,000 people. I will be watching at home and for me that is good enough. She (Vanessa, could have banned the media and refused to have it live on TV) RIP to all the people on that helicopter that fateful day. God Bless to all the families and friends.

4. Sandy says:

I was one of the Kobe haters for a long time – but I have done my homework. He committed himself to leaving a legacy that most can only dream of. A stand up guy – great husband, great father, great mentor. I am humbled by my own ignorance that I judged a person based upon his flaws and failed to look at my own. Ron Wilson, I believe it is said, “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”. Maybe you never strayed in your marriage but you can be damn sure you are not a perfect person. There was only one that was.

RIP Kobe and Gianna… and the rest of those that were on that ill-fated flight.

5. pat says:

i was on the wait list as well why did the big timers get tickets WE ARE THE FANS ,they have access ALL the time now we are out of a ticket

6. Thor says:

WHY wasn’t this a free event for the city?? many wish to pay respects to the Man who gave us much Joy & Pride (my 12 year old nice niece amoung them!) but “$224 a tix for charity”?? I simply can’t afford ALL of which couldn’t be goin to “good cause” + right now the “Greater Cause ” shouldn’t be disrespecting Kobe’s loyal fans who are mourning TOO by “locking them out” without so much as a VIDEO screen from which to observe the proceedings!…poorly planned event.