HUNTINGTON BEACH (CBSLA) — Huntington Beach residents were grieving Thursday night after a beloved teacher was killed in a Wednesday night crash with a teenage driver who was allegedly drunk.

“She’s my daughter’s favorite substitute teacher,” Lily Pham, a neighbor, said.

Susan Palmer, 61, was killed Wednesday night after the car she was in was struck by a 17-year-old from Westminster driving the wrong way on Gothard Street in Huntington Beach at about 9:30 p.m. The teen, who police said was driving under the influence, collided into the car where Palmer was a passenger.

She was taken to the hospital with major internal injuries and later died. The driver and other passengers suffered minor injuries.

“I just cannot believe it,” Thang Pham, a neighbor, said. “I don’t know how to describe it.”

Neighbors said Palmer had been married for decades to the love of her life, Johnny “Ace” Palmer, a professional musician. The pair had two daughters together, one who just got engaged.

“I don’t know how Johnny, how he’s going to handle without Susan,” Lily said. “They were such a sweet, loving couple. They were always together.”

The teen driver was arrested on suspicion of felony DUI and gross vehicular manslaughter.

Comments (9)
  1. Darrin E Race says:

Very Sad, Johnny is a MAGICIAN NOT MUSICIAN as stated in the article. Prayers for the Palmer Family.

2. Al Lampkin says:

Johnny Ace Palmer is a MAGICIAN not a musician

3. Brad says:

Johnny “Ace” Palmer is not a musician, he’s a magician.

4. Denny Bolen says:

Susan is a beloved member of Beach Bible Church. There her primary ministry was to young children. What a tragic loss. Please pray for her husband, Johnny & daughters Bell & Whitney.

5. Lynn Duncan says:

I had just met Susan and Johnny when a friend invited me to an event at the church just before Christmas. She was a warm and welcoming woman.

6. Johnny Ace was a wonderful member of The Magic Family – he made history in many ways since his early days. I never met his wife, but I am sure that she brought her own type of Magic to whomever she met. The sadness of the Magic Family and community is very great upon hearing this – we are with Johnny and his family. Paul C

7. Dr. Steve Sabo says:

He has always been a very happy MAGICIAN, maybe no so for awhile…my sympathy goes to the family.