SANTA PAULA (CBSLA) — Evacuations were ordered after a brush fire erupted near Santa Paula Thursday evening.
Crews responded to the brush fire on the top of South Mountain, just south of Santa Paula shortly after 6 p.m. By early Friday morning, the fire had grown to 8,300 acres with zero containment.
Flames could be seen for miles as the fire moved quickly through dry brush. The fire broke out near the Easy Fire, which started Wednesday.
According to officials, the firefighting effort was hampered Thursday evening by a drone flying over active flames.
As of 7:48 p.m. helicopters were making water drops and engines were getting in place for structure defense.
- North of Highway 118
- South of South Mountain Road
- East of West Los Angeles Avenue
- West of Balcom County Road
- Camarillo Community Center, 1605 Burnley St.
- Camarillo Animal Shelter, 600 Aviation Drive — Small animals
- Ventura County Fairgrounds, 10 W. Harbor Blvd. — Large animals
- Earl Warren Showgrounds, 3400 Calle Real. — Large animals
Ranches near Somis were also asked to evacuate.
- South Mountain Road between 12th Street and Balcom Canyon
- Berylwood Road at Aggen Road
- West La Loma Road, between Center Road and Walnut Avenue
- Price Road at East Los Angeles Avenue (Highway 118)
- Clubhouse Drive at East Los Angeles Avenue (Highway 118)
Friday School Closures:
- Briggs School District
- Hueneme Elementary School District
- Mesa Union School District
- Mupu School District
- Oxnard Union High School District
- Santa Clara Elementary School District
- Santa Paula Unified School District
- ACE – Camarillo Charter School
- University Preparation – Camarillo Charter School
- Dwire School
- Gateway Community School
- James Foster School
- La Mariposa School
- Las Colinas Middle School
- Phoenix Airport
- Phoenix Los Nogales
- Pleasant Valley Early Childhood Center
- Ritchen Preschool
- Sunkist School
- Triton Academy
- Williams Preschool
- Boswell School
- Penfield School
- Balboa Middle School
- Ventura High School