LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — The bowls at Chipotle Mexican Grill and Sweetgreen have become a staple to many, but a new study found the biodegradable material of the bowls contains cancer-linked “forever chemicals” that may pose a health hazard.
READ MORE: Rain Expected Sunday Night Into Monday In Southland
According to the non-profit group New Food Economy, the fiber bowls are exposed to chemicals that can lead to serious health problems such as cancer.
The chemicals, known as PFAS, help the bowls hold hot, wet, and greasy food.READ MORE: Weekend Closure Of 101 Freeway Stretch Near DTLA Planned For Viaduct Project
Researchers say the compounds of PFAS do not break down in the body.
The chemicals are said to also soak into the soil as the bowls break down, leading to toxic compost.MORE NEWS: CHP Issues Sig Alert After Fatal Crash On 101 Freeway
There are 415 Chipotle locations throughout California, including many locations in Southern California in cities such as Alhambra, Fullerton, Sherman Oaks, Irvine, Lakewood, Glendale, Santa Ana, Northridge, and many more.