NEWBURY PARK (CBSLA) — The Thousand Oaks shooter’s high school track coach says that he assaulted her.

“I turned on the news and I was watching it and when they said his name my jaw just dropped,” said Dominique Colell.

43b787f6947949a684442a12a4d91d0b Thousand Oaks Gunmans High School Coach Speaks About Sexual Assault

Dominique Colell

Ian David Long is the name this former high school coach hadn’t heard in a long time. But it’s one she never forgot.

RELATED: Full coverage of Thousand Oaks mass shooting

“He attacked me. He attacked his high school track coach,” said Colell. “Who does that?”

For the former Newbury Park High School track coach this day has been full of emotions — from sadness to guilt. Because she never filed charges against Long after she says he assaulted her his senior year.

Colell says it happened during practice when someone found a phone and she was trying to figure out who it belonged to.

“Ian came up and started screaming at me that was his phone,” said Colell. “He just started grabbing me. He groped my stomach. He groped my butt. I pushed him off me and said after that — ‘you’re off the team.’ “

But Colell says she was encouraged by other coaches and the school to accept an apology to not ruin his future in the Marine Corps.

“I should have reported it then,” said Colell.

And although she never would have predicted this, Colell says she doesn’t believe this is just a case of PTSD. She says Long had issues long before he was ever a Marine.

“There are hundreds of thousands of people with PTSD,” said Colell. “They don’t go around shooting people. This kid was mentally disturbed in high school. There were signs and the administration knew it.”

Comments (89)
  1. Curtis Griesel says:

He wasn’t mentally disturbed. He was angry and violent. Different things.

1. Simon White says:

Getting angry at a teacher looking through his lost phone to identify him is not too weird.
      Being so self-centred that he feels justified in, or can’t help screaming at a teacher for it does raise the possibility of mental illness. Physical assault, more so. Switching that to sexual assault, if that is what it was for him, even more so. And she said problems, plural.

2. Correct, a hothead with hair-trigger temper in a cage-match with life.
      But it pleases us to look down our noses at them, beneath us, we are science-deniers.

Officials especially, they act like they don’t know what the internet is or how to type a search at their fingertips, vast data connecting the dots that such people are infected with The Road Rage Parasite Toxoplasma. Some very good videos for example.

They could test the amygdala of this shooter for Tg today if they would wake up.
      If any of you know anyone in offices involved with that event or others similar,
      please mention this, it will save lives.

3. Angela Smith says:

Being perpetually “angry and violent” indicates that you are mentally disturbed.

2. susiemac2u says:

He also physically assaulted his mom – police were called.

3. Too many people think that irrationality always equals mental illness.

But you don’t have to be irrational to be mentally ill; and you don’t have to be mentally ill to be irrational.

Assigning mental illness to people who behave irrationally puts them into an “other” category–meaning “this person is not like me or anyone else I know; therefore I have less to fear that this will happen to me.”

It’s a way of comforting themselves & staving off terror.

BTW, CBSLA, if you file a story under “Assualt,” people using the correct spelling won’t be able to find it.

4. She’s too young and good looking for me to take seriously.

1. Hilary Jacobs Trout says:

and you are part of the problem.

5. lsbrew says:

It would have been very easy for her to have proven the phone to be his or not his. Ask him his phone number, dial it, if it rings then give it back to him. Whatever problems he had the night he shot up the bar I don’t know. But if you want a similar reaction to Ian’s, just get someone’s phone and start trying to open it.

1. Basically every single human being on earth that is not a severe danger to themselves and others would be able to respond to somebody picking up their phone without sexually assaulting them. I don’t know why you feel such an urge to justify that behavior, but try a little harder, maybe.

6. She’s a liar. She had a sexual relation with him, a student, and is trying to get ahead of the story, before it gets out. Stevie Wonder can see that.