coin arrest Cops Under Fire For Flipping A Coin To Decide Whether Theyll Arrest Speeding Driver

Sarah Webb being arrested. Roswell, Ga. police officers Courtney Brown and Kristee Wilson decided to arrest Webb for speeding after flipping a virtual coin to decide. (SOURCE: Roswell Police Dept.)

ROSWELL, Ga. (CBSLA) — Two Georgia police officers have come under scrutiny after video emerged of them deciding whether or not to arrest a speeding driver based on the flip of a digital coin.

Body cam footage of the April 7 incident shows Roswell Police Officer Courtney Brown berating 24-year-old hairdresser Sarah Webb, asking her, “So you think driving that fast on a wet road is a smart idea because you’re late for work?”

“I’m sorry,” Webb responds, voice quaking.

The footage then shows Brown returning to her patrol vehicle, where she and her partner discuss if they will arrest Webb.

The other officer identified as Kristee Wilson then opens up a coin-flipping app on the on-board computer.

“‘A’ (Arrest), head; ‘R’ (Release), tail,” Wilson says before both officers giggle.

The virtual coin lands tails, but the officers decided to arrest Webb, anyway. She cries as she is being handcuffed, and footage from inside the vehicle shows her sobbing in the back seat.

“They’re very degrading and rude and mean,” Webb told Inside Edition.

Webb found out about the coin toss weeks later.

“I was very angry and upset,” said Webb. “It just hurt to know that, you know, these people are supposed to be looking out for you, and […] it was a game to them.”

Former Los Angeles Police Sgt. Cheryl Dorsey told IE she thinks this isn’t the cops’ first time doing this “because they did it with ease.”

“They knew right where to go for the app, they did the coin toss, they thought it was cute,” Dorsey continued.

After the video surfaced, charges against Webb were dropped.

Both officers turned in their guns and are on administrative leave.

(© Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments (44)
  1. Joe Veritas says:

I try and give police the benefit of the doubt but in this instance, these officers are utterly unprofessional.

1. Unprofessional? Try “snotty, contemptuous, arrogant, wanton incompetents”

1. Has anyone here, complaining about the cops, EVER fooled a bit on the job? That is all that happened….they took appropriate action…the coin toss was not used as a determinant factor. Get a life. Some people will stretch anything to jab the police. And the tv lady is a joke. talk about a mountain out of a molehill !!

2. Fire these unprofessional abusive pigs.

3. I don’t see a problem with the coin toss, since the officers have discretion as to whether or not to arrest. I do think they’re jerks, though, after reneging on the agreed upon outcome of the toss.

4. The officers broke NO law. They did NOT allow the coin to decide what will happen. This is muchado about nothing. People look for any method to harm police officers. The officers at all times were acting inside the law! THAT is what needs to be considered!

5. Lilith Whyte says:

Arrested? Where’s her white privilege?

6. Yeah, normally I’m pretty tough on cops, as a vast majority of them are corrupt (that includes officers that look the other way when they know their co-workers are corrupt)… but this is a complete nothing-burger. The woman was a reckless driver and, as a result, was completely arrestable. If the officers had abided by the coin flip results, there could’ve been a problem, as “officer discretion” cannot be left up to random chance. But they didn’t, and as such – giggling or not – they were completely within their rights, and their responsibilities to the State, to make the arrest.

7. Roye Skinner says:

While I usually tend to support cops, I’m not one of those idiots who think they are all “heroes” (just like I’m a veteran who knows there are plenty of soldiers out there who aren’t heroes either) . This was a couple of young stupid cops, drunk on power who should be far away from any position of authority. As the grandson of a cop…these kind of things are why people don’t trust cops.

8. Even the smallest amount of power over another can corrupt.
    These two women officers need to be removed from any career in law enforcement.

9. Steve Hollar says:

Arrested for speeding? Really? Never heard of that.

1. It’s called “reckless driving” when it’s =>20mph over the speed limit. There are, however, 2 speed limits: The POSTED speed limit and the IMPLIED speed limit. The latter is determined by the conditions prevailing (weather, time of day/night, traffic, etc.). The girl was speeding at >20mph over the posted limit, and she was doing so in wet, slippery, overcast, conditions. The implied speed limit, therefore, was probably less than the posted speed limit, so that was an aggravating factor. The girl had it coming and these officers did nothing wrong… other than put themselves in a bad PR spot with the coin flipping deal being done on camera.

10. Only HER HAIRDRESSER KNOWS FOR SURE! These stories taken national by Drudge are used to ‘flavor’ the supposed real network coverage every night at 5:30 p.m. C(D/S)T. The medium once dominated by Huntley & Brinkley, eventually Cronkite, has become infotainment. Americans are entertaining themselves to death (yes, there’s a book). Deborah Norville then hosts an IN DEPTH discussion of the most trivial tv events that appeared on network news a half hour earlier on Inside Edition, that is ‘breathed’ rather than reported. Her show is hilariously funny and worth watching. I accidentally discovered it. The Big Three Nightly News broadcasts apparently wanted some of that action. I’m all for Deborah after the brutal treatment she got at Today after Jane Pauley complained about losing her slot there back in the day.

11. If the coin toss had been part of their interaction with the bad driver then maybe it could be an issue but they just did it in the car like anyone playing with their phone these days.
    I am glad they take drivers behaving badly off the road because I like getting to where I’m going without some speeder crashing into me or flipping out because other drivers are in their way while they break the law and cause potential for a fatal crash.

12. Shocking? Really? I am sick of media people ginning up outrage. The person needed to be arrested and WAS arrested. Wake Up.

13. What an absolutely infuriating article. Your country sucks a** most of the time

14. Samuel Green says:

Until officer Robocop replaces humans, officers will always have discretion. (including the discretion to use bad discretion). If they weren’t joking, it’s over the line. I’m a big fan of body cams for this very reason.

If I was the commanding officer of these two police women, I’d split these two up on different shifts to make this nonsense stop.

15. Female cops are the absolute worst. They should never have been allowed on the force

16. Pei Tsing says:

more consideration than the FBI gave Clinton.

17. adozengifts says:

Double whammy, she won the coin toss and they still arrested her? Lying garbage pails they should be arrested..

18. Police Officers have the discretion to ticket or warn (and in some cases arrest) a traffic violator – but to do so in this unprofessional manner is totally unacceptable.

19. I so smog checks and sometimes I flip a coin to decide if I’ll fail a car.

20. Women shouldn’t be permitted to play cop.

1. Do you really think you’re the Future Of Crypto?

21. The city should compensate the victim (that’s what she is) for lost wages and emotional distress. SUE them blind!

22. If governments really wanted to enforce speed laws, they would have zero tolerance and put all patrol cars in plain view. Everyone knows the best way to slow traffic to legal speed is to make the patrol car plainly visible, yet they hide to catch only the most egregious speeder…or those driving while black, or otherwise “suspicious” looking. Speed laws are more for revenue than safety…and also an excellent opportunity to poke around someone’s car for more laws broken, like drugs or DUI.

I once had an officer tell me after a speeding stop (I was legitimately speeding, not paying attention to my speed on a road I could drive blindfolded) that their threshold he was instructed for pulling someone over was 12 miles an hour over. After I told him I loved cops and that his sheriffs deputies were the ones that approved my live fire concealed carry permit test, he wrote me a ticket for disobeying a traffic sign…saved me almost $100. But they still wanted some money and didn’t let me off Scott free! He made me promise I wouldn’t contest it in court!

23. Hub says:

The officers knew that the driver needed intervention. Otherwise, there was no reason for the stop. The words of the officer outlined the seriousness of the offense. The woman was contrite and afraid. The officer appears to be swayed by the woman’s defense, She returned to the car and tried to make up her mind. That always takes time and consideration. She tried 50/50 odds. When she thought further, she ultimately took appropriate action when she considered the merits of the case against the prospect of just a warning and concluded that the offense outweighed leniency. Some people pray, some people go into dark corners any number of things, to give themselves room to weigh the merits of important decisions. Making everything absolutely rigid will be far more harmful. It seems the punishment of the officer for using the “wrong” tool is rigid and harmful.

24. They’re part of the “Me Too” crowd