PASADENA (CBSLA.com) — Metro riders beware: your bad manners could cost you big bucks.

Transit officials are cracking down on how riders behave on Metro’s fleet of 2,200 clean air buses and six rail lines, with a particular focus on getting riders to be mindful of seat-hogging, blocking the aisles and eating or drinking.

The latest “Metro Manners” campaign comes on the heels of a month-long enforcement surge earlier this year on the Blue Line, where more than 3,200 riders were issued warnings and over 2,000 were ejected for various infractions, including taking up excessive space and people eating and drinking on trains.

Riders who are found doing any of the following are subject to a fine of $75 per offense and could be escorted off the train or bus:

• Eating, drinking, smoking, vaping;
  • Playing loud music;
  • Disturbing others;
  • Disorderly, lewd conduct;
  • Placing chewing gum on seats;
  • Loitering;
  • Fare evasion;
  • Occupying more than one seat or blocking a door; or
  • Riding a bicycle or skateboard in a station.

Riders who commit third, fourth and fifth offenses could face being banned for 30 to 90 days, officials said.

It’s not the first time Metro has tried to teach better social etiquette to its riders: in 2003, the agency had “Metro Manners” trading cards designed for presentations to schools in LA County.

Some of the campaign’s characters included the Snacker, whose food and drinks were a messy nuisance to others; Edgy Eddie, named for his habit of standing dangerously close to the edges of sidewalk curbs and train platforms; and the Blab Sisters, who predictably do far too much blabbing on Metro rides.

Comments (79)
  1. John Smith says:

People that live in California need to keep there rudeness and special kind of stupid in California.

1. Nigel Oswyn says:

Same thing happens in NYC subway, and its just another method of collectivism.

2. Nigel Oswyn says:

Collectivism is going strong in a desperate state falling on a 400 billion dollar debt. I wonder if the sexist term “man spreading” is a CBS headline grabber or a product of the metro line? Men are anatomically different and sometimes need to sit with a little more space. There is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

3. Mark Em says:

So, I guess airing out the coochie is OK?

4. Nigel Oswyn says:

What’s up with this extremely buggy website that keeps reloading every time I want to comment taking up too much of my time? Jeez, corporate/government controlled CBS.

5. Just another reason why California has always been called the State of Nuts and Fruits / Democrats.

6. Last time I took the train from Chatsworth to Union Depot and back nobody checked to see if I even had a ticket. Come to think of it, the train was nearly empty.

7. ah yes…the city that hands out citizenship to meskin illegals are the ones that expect you to act civilized…priceless…

8. Instead of trying to generate revenue by getting new riders/users, Metro is fining people who can least afford it for fictional offenses like “manspreading”? Can you imagine the rule book description that is coming out? Manspreading will be defined by some YouTube video with absurd poses when the reality is “manspreading” is something made up by a Women’s Studies professor at a community college to describe why men take up as much space as women on NYC subways. No kidding- that is where this started.

9. They have to legislate manners in California…..typical.

10. Eric Slowik says:

I would like to formally petition any human rights lawyers to sue the city on the basis of size discrimination. I am 6’3″ tall and weigh in at 333 lbs. This “City Code”<not a law. makes me unable to sit on a bus. I am disabled. This makes it almost impossible for me to ride the bus without violating this code. I do not fit in just one seat I do however let anyone that wants, attempt to sit next to me. Smaller people do'nt find it uncomfortable to sit next to me as I make myself as small as it is possible when your 6 foot 3 inches and 333 lbs.Tall people are easy to spot makes them a perfect cash cow.

11. Joel Vinson says:

Feminism proves it is cancer, once again. We get it. You don’t understand male anatomy.