EASTVALE (CBSLA.com) — An acid leak at a facility where tuna cans are labeled sent over a dozen workers to the hospital in the Inland Empire.
Fifteen people were taken to the hospital for minor respiratory issues following the leak Thursday.
The incident unfolded at Starkist Foods in the 12000 block of Philadelphia Avenue in Eastvale, spurring the evacuation of an entire building while Hazmat crews cleaned the area.
Hours later, the evacuated employees were able to grab their belongings and head home after what some called a “scary experience.”
Anna Maria Perez, an employee, described the odor in Spanish as “extremely strong.”
She says they were then told to exit the building.
Officials said there were no open food or tuna cans near the spill. The facility is expected to reopen Friday.