COMPTON ( — Los Angeles County prosecutors declined Wednesday to immediately file any charges against a 23-year-old man arrested in connection with the shooting death of a year-old girl in Compton, asking instead for a further investigation into the killing.

As a result, Ray Howard Patterson was released from jail around 6 p.m., according to jail records.

READ MORE: Danny Glover, Samuel L. Jackson, Liv Ullmann And Elaine May To Receive Honorary Oscars

Ray Howard Patterson had been held without bail since his arrest Monday afternoon near Bullis Road and Rosecrans Avenue in Compton.

On Feb. 9, Patterson allegedly opened fire on Autumn Johnson’s home, a converted garage, located in the 300 block of North Holly Avenue. Johnson was asleep in her crib when a bullet struck her face.

Paramedics rushed her to St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood, where she later died.

Authorities believe the incident was gang-related and that Johnson’s father was likely the target of the shooting.

Detectives said Patterson traveled to and from the scene in a blue Chevrolet Impala with another man, who remains at large. The vehicle was last seen driving south on Holly Avenue.

“The senseless and tragic death of baby Autumn has left her family and community devastated,” LA County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas said.

READ MORE: Male Driver Detained After Crashing Through LAX Fence, Leading Police On Chase Across Two Runways

Autumn’s parents are expecting their second child. A funeral service for Autumn was held on Saturday.

“Her first pair of big girl shoes, she had to have on in the casket,” the baby’s aunt, Kenyia Hicks, said. “That’s the hard part.”

The city of Compton, the FBI and the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors have each posted $25,000 rewards, totaling $75,000 for information in the case. The investigation is ongoing.

Patterson has multiple convictions dating from 2012, according to court records cited by the Los Angeles Times. In September 2013, he pleaded no contest to resisting an officer and was sentenced to 365 days in jail and three years of formal probation.

In October 2014, he pleaded no contest to grand theft and was sentenced to 16 months in custody, to be served in county jail.

Currently, Patterson is facing burglary and larceny charges stemming from a May 26, 2015, incident, according to court records.

Anyone with information regarding this case has been urged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department at (323) 890-5500.

MORE NEWS: Moreno Valley Man Charged With Felony Assault For Allegedly Brandishing Handgun And Threatening Motorists

(©2016 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)