SOUTH LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Authorities were working to relocate a South Los Angeles family Thursday after heavy flames damaged their home.

Shortly after 9 p.m. on Wednesday, firefighters were sent to a small, one-story home located in the 500 block of West 59th Place, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department.

READ MORE: Man Killed, 2 Women Wounded In Shooting In Bellflower Smoke Shop

Upon their arrival, crews located heavy flames burning at the rear of the property.

Twenty seven firefighters were able to extinguish the inferno in just under nine minutes.

No injuries were reported.

A preliminary investigation revealed a man, a woman and their two young daughters were able to escape from the fast-moving flames when they smelled smoke just before they went to sleep.

READ MORE: Pfizer Says Third Dose May Be Effective Against Omicron Variant

According to LAFD Spokesman Brian Humphrey, the home was not equipped with functional smoke alarms.

“It was a fortunate discovery,” Humphrey said. “This could have been a deadly blaze.”

The blaze is estimated to have caused $200,000 in damage. The family was left possessionless and temporarily homeless.

Due to the severity of the incident, Battalion Chief Ellsworth Fortman provided family with immediate monetary aid via the California Fire Foundation’s SAVE Program. The American Red Cross is assisting with temporary placement.

MORE NEWS: Lakers Handle Celtics 117-102, Split Rivalry For Season

Firefighters determined the failure or overloading of an electrical extension cord sparked the accidental fire to erupt within the three-bedroom home.