LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich is in trouble with the Muslim community over a comment he made in the aftermath of the San Bernardino mass shooting.

In a speech to constituents after the shooting, Antonovich said, “The first thing I asked about this incident, ‘was the guy named Muhammad?'”

READ MORE: Tejon Ranch Will Be A Zero-Emissions Home Development, Ending Decades-Long Legal Battle

It upset some people who said it unfairly singled out Muslims over other perpetrators of mass shootings, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“That is an insensitive statement coming from somebody in power like the supervisor,” Kamal al-Khatib, president and co-founder of American Islamic Institute of Antelope Valley, in Palmdale, told The Times.

In an emailed response Friday to a request for comment, Antonovich wrote, “Radical Islamists have declared War on the United States.”

READ MORE: Parolee Aariel Maynor Arrested In Connection With Jacqueline Avant Killing After Shooting Himself In The Foot

“On July 16th, four United States Marines were attacked and killed by Mohammed Abdulazeez,” he said. “In November, four University of California students were attacked and stabbed by Faisal Mohammed. Last week in the Paris massacre, at least two of the 11 attackers and planners were named Mohammed.”

Al-Khatib said Muslims are fearful of backlash stemming from the attack.

“We are a victim too. Every time something happens, we are another victim,” he said.

MORE NEWS: NFL Week 13 AFC East Preview: CBS Boston's Levan Reid Calls AFC East Title Fight A Battle Of 'Big Brother Vs Little Brother'

(©2015 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)