LAGUNA NIGUEL (CBSLA.com) — A fire that killed a Laguna Niguel man in his condo was apparently sparked by his smoking, authorities said Thursday.

The fire was reported about 10:20 p.m. Wednesday in the 2500 block of Via Terracina, Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Hurdle said.

READ MORE: 'Gone Girl' Actress Lisa Banes Dies After Being Hit By Scooter In New York City

The flames were quickly extinguished, but the unit had been filled with smoke and the man, in his 50s, was found lying on the floor next to his recliner, OCFA spokesman Capt. Steve Concialdi said.

READ MORE: Milestone: California Reopens, Lifts Majority Of Its Mask Restrictions, Ends Social Distancing Requirements

The man’s name was withheld, pending notification of his relatives.

Damage was estimated at $75,000 to the structure and $40,000 to the contents, Concialdi said.

MORE NEWS: Irvine Family's Cat Dies In Cargo Area Of Plane During International Flight

The fire was apparently caused by the man’s smoking in his recliner, Concialdi said. He lived alone in the unit.