ISLA VISTA (CBSLA.com) — A second suspect in a shooting near the University of California Santa Barbara was in custody early Tuesday morning.

Officials responded to a domestic disturbance call just before 7:15 p.m. Monday at a residence in the 6500 block of Sabado Tarde, according to the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department.

According to authorities, two men — 19-year-old Jose Guadalupe Gutierrez and 22-year-old James Joshua Taylor — entered the apartment of two UCSB students who knew Gutierrez.

An altercation occurred and both victims suffered gunshot wounds.

Taylor, who suffered head wounds, was held by other residents until officials arrived on scene. All three were transported to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital and were expected to survive.

Gutierrez fled and was last seen in a white four door sedan, deputies said.

A short time later he arrived at the Goleta Valley Cottage Hospital and said he sustained injuries in a vehicle accident on the UCSB campus.

Due to the extent of his wounds, he was transported to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital where officials discovered he was the suspect in the earlier shooting.

Both suspects will remain hospitalized until they can be released and booked in the Santa Barbara County Jail for attempted murder, robbery, participating in a criminal street gang and discharge of a firearm in the commission of a felony causing great bodily injury. Gutierrez will also face a charge for possession of a stolen firearm.

Following the shooting, the UCBS campus was told to shelter in place. They were given an all clear around 9 p.m.

Monday’s incident comes nearly a year after a mass shooting in Isla Vista. On May 23, 2014 Elliot Rodger, 22, killed six people and injured more than a dozen others before taking his own life.

“I know this is a little different than what happened last year, but it’s really difficult because it brings back all the same emotions that we had that night,” UCSB student Spencer Dominy said.

Comments