COSTA MESA (CBSLA.com) — Officials at an Orange County high school are threatening to cancel the year’s prom if students hold a NFL-style draft to select their dates.
Last year, when Corona del Mar High School Principal Kathy Scott heard of a group of boys ranking female students and sometimes paying top dollar for first-round picks, she threatened to shut prom down.READ MORE: Police: Michael Rhee Of Lake Forest Attacked Asian Woman, Believing She Was White, In Retaliation For Rise In Hate Crimes
This year, rumors of a repeat have prompted the Newport-Mesa Unified School District to issue the following statement: “The principal’s ‘all call’ to parents was a preemptive measure to advise parents of her concerns and ask for their help based on rumors coming to her from students.
“If a prom draft occurs in 2015 she will cancel prom which would affect over 800 students for the actions of a few.”READ MORE: Standoff In Pasadena Ensues After Man Found Stabbed Several Times
Controversy has erupted once again over the issue. But not all parents believe those involved had bad intentions.
“I think that these boys probably had fun and easygoing, nice intentions and never meant for anybody to get hurt,” parent Jessica Susolik said. “Some parents are concerned that there is a negative atmosphere surrounding the prom draft and if their children or daughters weren’t chosen, how are their feelings affected?”
Students CBS2/KCAL9 spoke with Friday said there would not be a prom draft this year.MORE NEWS: Aquarium Of The Pacific Mourns Loss Of 20-Year-Old Sea Otter Maggie
If that is the case, the dance is scheduled to take place June 6.