LOS ANGELES (AP) — The 83 bottles of wine cited in a lawsuit this week as having dangerously high levels of arsenic came from 28 California wineries and were bottled under 31 brand labels. Some of the labels included several types of wine, such as merlot, chardonnay, burgundy and rose.

Read More LA News

Those labels and the types of wine cited in the complaint:

— Acronym (GR8RW Red Blend).

— Almaden (Heritage White Zinfandel, Heritage Moscato, Heritage Chardonnay, Mountain Burgundy, Mountain Rhine, Mountain Chablis).

— Arrow Creek (Coastal Series Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Bandit (Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Bay Bridge (Chardonnay).

— Beringer (White Merlot, White Zinfandel, Red Moscato, Refreshingly Sweet Moscato).

— Charles Shaw (White Zinfandel).

— Colores Del Sol (Malbec).

— Glen Ellen by Concannon (Glen Ellen Reserve Pinot Grigio, Glen Ellen Reserve Merlot).

— Concannon (Selected Vineyards Pinot Noir).

— Cook’s (Spumante).

— Corbett Canyon (Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Cupcake (Malbec).

— Fetzer (Moscato, Pinot Grigio).

— Fisheye (Pinot Grigio).

— Flipflop (Pinot Grigio, Moscato, Cabernet Sauvignon).

— Foxhorn (White Zinfandel).

— Franzia (Vintner Select White Grenache, Vintner Select White Zinfandel, Vintner Select White Merlot, Vintner Select Burgundy).

— Hawkstone (Cabernet Sauvignon).

— HRM Rex Goliath (Moscato).

— Korbel (Sweet Rose Sparkling Wine, Extra Dry Sparkling Wine).

— Menage A Trois (Pinot Grigo, Moscato, White Blend, Chardonnay, Rose, Cabernet Sauvignon, California Red Wine).

— Mogen David (Concord, Blackberry Wine).

— Oak Leaf (White Zinfandel).

— Pomelo (Sauvignon Blanc).

— R Collection By Raymond (Chardonnay).

— Richards Wild Irish Rose (Red Wine).

— Seaglass (Sauvignon Blanc).

— Simply Naked (Moscato).

— Smoking Loon (Viognier).

— Sutter Home (Sauvignon Blanc, Gerwurztraminer, Pink Moscato, Pinot Grigio, Moscato, Chenin Blanc, Sweet Red, Riesling, White Merlot, Merlot, White Zinfandel).

(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments (58)
  1. Gotta die from something….let it be wine!

2. What’s the big deal? Does anyone actually drink this plonk?

3. Then I am shocked I am not dead yet!

4. Grace Ma'at says:

This is crazy. So pretty much, stay away from California wines.

5. Why was I able to buy a bottle on this list yesterday? Seems like they’d pull it from the shelf if it’s that big of an issue!

6. IF ITS WRITTEN IN THE PAPER IT MUST BE TRUE

7. Two of my favorite wines are on this list! I drank some last night!

8. Wondering if this was financed by high-end wine companies. Were only cheap wines tested? Is it possible to get the complete list of wines that were tested?

1. I agree! This scares you, but doesn’t come close to mentioning the 83 wines mentioned!

9. Read this article all the way to the end, and there you will see the copyright as 2015. What the heck,!!!

10. Where is the arsenic coming from? water? barrels? grapes?

11. Peter Shaw says:

I believe it comes from the seeds. Stone fruit like peaches and plums have higher levels, that’s why they remove them before making wine. I don’t think that it’s a concern. Just someone looking to sue for a profit.

12. What a poorly reported news story. Not a word as to how the arsenic is getting into the wine. Not a word about an attempt to contact any of the wineries for their comments on this.

13. well I guess I’m dead, I drink or have drunk most of these.

14. Ali Johnson says:

Yikes. This redefines the term “rot gut”. I actually have a bottle of one of these in my fridge for my friends who are democrats.

15. I didn’t even know they made wine in America. Does it come in cans or plastic bottles?
    ((: flesym pleh t’dluoc, gniddik tsuj)

16. It is present in the soil, a well known thing . Atle Bergstrem, Bless your heart.

17. brgmgb says:

The arsenic in the wine cancels out the Glyphosate residues, so it’s all good.

18. only the high priced wine is free of Arsenic ??

19. Turning leaf was not on the list

20. Well I have a lot of these wines do I get a refund ?

21. If you wear Old Lace while drinking any of these, you get a free pass.

22. My 71st birthday is coming up soon,!! Wow if this is true………… naw it can’t be!!

23. Wonder if this has to do with Roundup. Roundup is used everywhere, and it has arsenic and lead in it. Glyphosate has been found in many wines. They spray it between the vines, in copious amounts. Even at high end vineyards.

24. Arsenic is naturally occurring in some fruits. This may have nothing to do with anything other than the choice of flavors used.

25. Peggi Chase says:

I don’t know if this is real or fake news but they are all junk wines, yuk!

26. Ann Peters says:

A couple of wines I have bought are on the list – looks like it’s back to Winking Owl from Aldi….

27. This story is from 2015. Wonder what ever happened to the lawsuit.

28. Beringer white zinfandel was always used by me for a fun wine with salads .so much for that always stayed away from the cheep stuff . this should never be .

29. This doesnt sound right…I smell a government abuse issue here.

30. Terry VE says:

It’s data cherry picking… They use the ppm for acceptable levels in water, which is consumed in MUCH larger quantities than wine (usually). By comparison, apple juice and pear juice contain up to two or three times as much arsenic as drinking water as a matter of course. The Food and Drug Administration has known this for years. In fact the acceptable threshold for traces of arsenic in juice is much higher than it is for water, a fact that the FDA explains by simply saying that people don’t drink as much juice as they do water.

In short, the FDA is not worried about arsenic levels in juice that are up to five times higher in juice than in water… So we probably shouldn’t be too concerned about wine.

31. This article was published in 2015.

32. Doug Bogen says:

Yes, this article/issue is 3 years old, and that the lawsuit was dismissed/is on appeal. The issue seems to be whether to apply the drinking water standard to wine (and whether the arsenic is added – as the plaintiffs claim – or found naturally, so being organically-produced might not help) – I suppose someone drinks as much or more wine as water, but hopefully not many of us!