LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The corner of Fourth and Soto streets in East Los Angeles, according to the LAPD, used to be the “hub of gang activity” in the area.
But during a news conference Thursday, LAPD Capt. Martin Baeza said 19 suspected gang members have been arrested as a result of a crackdown.
The arrests, according to Baeza, happened in the month of January.
“I used to see a lot of gangsters,” Miguel, a resident, told CBS2’s Dave Lopez. Miguel, who provided no last name, has lived in the area for 50 years.
He said the difference is obvious.
“No more shootings. Everything is OK,” he said.
According to Lopez, a 30-member gang unit that operates out of Hollenbeck went after five suspected gang leaders in the area.
As Lopez reports, no gang shootings have transpired in the area in more than 45 days. Last year, there were more than 12 gang-related killings as compared to none this year.
“Day and night, we walk up and down the street, you know, just trying to figure out what’s going on. I haven’t seen anything,” another resident said.
Along Second Street, Lopez talked to a number of longtime residents, none of whom wanted to go on camera.
They unanimously said the difference is night and day as there have been no more shootings and very little shakedowns. Residents said they feel safe.