LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight was charged Monday with murder, attempted murder and hit-and-run charges after prosecutors said he ran over two men with his truck in Compton.
Knight, 49, surrendered early Friday and was booked on suspicion of murder in the death last week.
The $2 million bail for Knight was revoked earlier Monday after a bail commissioner placed the Death Row Records co-founder on a no-bail hold due to possible flight risk.
Officials also said Knight is a three-strikes candidate and could potentially intimidate witnesses.
Knight, who has been held at the Men’s Central Jail since surrendering to Los Angeles police early Friday morning, is scheduled to be arraigned at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday on murder charges.
He faces one count of murder, one count of attempted murder, two counts of hit-and-run with an allegation that he committed a serious and violent felony while out on bail in another pending case, according to Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey’s office.
On Thursday, Knight ran over two men with his vehicle outside a fast-food restaurant in Compton, authorities said. One victim, Terry Carter, 55, died, and actor Cle “Bone” Sloan, 51, was injured.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said Carter’s death is being investigated as a homicide and it appeared Knight aimed his vehicle in the direction of the men after an argument with Sloan. Knight’s attorney, James Blatt, said that his client was being attacked by a group of men and merely trying to escape when the accident occurred.
Blatt said he hopes to see video of the incident that he believes will clear his client.
Police said Sunday no arrangement was made for the attorney to view the video.
Knight was out on bail in a robbery case, prosecutors said.