LOS ANGELES (KNX 1070) — A former Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeon was found guilty Wednesday of involuntary manslaughter in connection with the 2010 death of a 61-year-old patient.
Joel Price, a homicide detective with the Los Angeles Police Department, brought her death to the attention of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, KNX 1070’s Charles Feldman reported in 2010.
“In my 35 years of law enforcement, I have never seen anything quite like it,” said Price, who oversaw the case against Mohamed. “He didn’t provide the basic life-support system that one would expect would be present in an office where that sort of a procedure was going on.”
Mohamed was also convicted of one count of elder abuse in an unrelated case.
Mohamed was the subject of a series of investigative reports by KNX 1070 that spanned more than two years. The radio station also learned that he has surrendered his medical license to the state’s medical board.
Feldman reports that Mohamed had been incarcerated for other reasons but now faces up to five years in state prison.
Mohamed is an Egyptian national, but Price doesn’t think he’ll be sent back out of concern for his safety.
“There has been a federal issue as far as deporting him back to his native country of Egypt. He has applied for political asylum, that’s my understanding,” Price said. “So, I’m not quite sure what they’ll do to him.”
Mohamed will be sentenced Feb. 3.