LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The U.S. government has issued a worldwide travel warning Friday after this week’s attack in Paris in which 12 people were killed.
The State Department said it remains concerned about the continued threat of terrorist attacks and other violent acts against U.S. citizens abroad, according to a statement online.
“Authorities believe there is an increased likelihood of reprisal attacks against U.S., Western and coalition partner interests throughout the world, especially in the Middle East, North Africa, Europe, and Asia,” the statement said, referencing military action taken by the U.S. and others against the Islamic State of Iraq (ISIL), which began last September.
Earlier Friday, a massive two-day manhunt in France for the Kouachi brothers ended in deadly gunfire and explosions north of Paris. The pair was suspected in a deadly massacre at the Charlie Hebdo weekly, a newspaper. Said, 34, and 32-year-old Cherif Kouachi allegedly had links to al-Qaida and reportedly said they wanted to die as martyrs.
Concurrently, a second hostage situation unfolded at a kosher supermarket in Paris, also ending in a deadly raid. Officers shot and killed the suspected hostage taker, identified as Amedy Coulibaly, 32. Police said Coulibaly killed at least four hostages while 15 others were rescued. He was also suspected of killing a female police officer Thursday.
Investigators believe Coulibaly and the Kouachi brothers had links to each other and to terrorism. Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula said Friday the group directed the Wednesday attack at the newspaper’s headquarters, according to the Associated Press.
“I want the people of France to know that the United States stands with you today, stands with you tomorrow. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families who have been directly impacted,” speaking from Tennessee, President Barack Obama said Friday.
Meantime, the Los Angeles Police Department says deployment has not been modified as there have been no signs of an imminent threat, so far.