LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Mayor Eric Garcetti said Monday he expects the results of an autopsy on the body of a 25-year-old South Los Angeles man shot by police to be released by the end of December.
Garcetti made the prediction on KNX 1070’s “Ask The Mayor” segment, a live listener call-in program hosted by KNX anchor Tom Haule and chief investigative reporter Charles Feldman.READ MORE: Angels Games Saturday And Sunday Postponed Due To Positive COVID-19 Tests On The Twins Roster
According to the mayor, Angelenos won’t have to wait until Dec. 31 for the post-mortem examination on Ezell Ford – who was shot on Aug. 11 – which has been on a security hold at the request of the Los Angeles Police Department until the investigation is finished.
“I’m confident [the report’s release] will be before the end of the year,” Garcetti said. “I think we’ll see it before the end of the year, probably [in the] next week or two.”READ MORE: Kroger Closing Ralph's And Food 4 Less In Long Beach Saturday Over Hero Pay Law
Police Chief Charlie Beck said last week that no new witnesses of the shooting have come forward.
Civil rights activists have accused the police of foot-dragging in releasing information about the case.
Garcetti said he ordered the LAPD to release the autopsy by the end of the year because the information is “important to the family and to the community.”MORE NEWS: LA County’s COVID Positivity Rate Hits Record Low; 600K Vaccine Doses Available Next Week
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)