LOS ANGELES (AP) — The U.S. attorney general has not yet decided whether to seek the death penalty against the man charged in a deadly shooting rampage at Los Angeles International Airport.

Federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald said Monday in U.S. District Court that the decision is before Attorney General Eric Holder.

READ MORE: Authorities Arrest Suspect Involved In Pursuit Of Suspected Stolen Vehicle, Possible DUI

Paul Ciancia has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges in the killing of a Transportation Security Administration officer and the wounding of three other people last year at LAX.

READ MORE: Californians Could Soon Be Fined For Using Too Much Water

Fitzgerald says prosecutors and defense lawyers presented their cases to the attorney general’s office in September and the capital crimes section of the department sent its recommendation to Holder last month.

The case was continued to Jan. 5. The judge wants the case to go to trial next year.

MORE NEWS: USC Student Second of Three Confirmed Omicron Cases In LA County

(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)