ENCINO (CBSLA.com) — An Encino teenager says his order of chili-cheese fries at a local Wienerschnitzel in April contained a lot more than spicy meat.
Arreon Molina, 18, says his chili had a razor blade in it.READ MORE: Wildlife Waystation Founder Martine Collette Dies At 79
“I was just shocked,” he told CBS2’s Andrea Fujii in a story that is Only On 2.
He said he took a few bites of the chili and then saw the blade. He says it was clearly visible.
“There was this razor,” he says. “It was corroded and just nasty inside there.”
He said he froze the food as evidence. Molina said he also went back to the restaurant to complain.
Molina said he was never offered an apology, and that is why he decided to take action and contact an attorney.READ MORE: Beyoncé, Kim Kardashian, Diana Ross & More Share Tributes To Fashion Designer Thierry Mugler
“What if I would have just not paid attention,” Molina asked, “and ate it and swallowed the blade? I wouldn’t be here today.”
In a statement, Wienerschnitzel said: “Our ongoing priority is providing guests with a dining experience that consistently emphasizes quality and safety. This claim was thoroughly investigated by a third-party insurance company and liability was denied.”
Under California law, anyone seeking money for emotional distress must prove an injury took place. Though Molina didn’t get hurt physically, he told Fujii he is still traumatized. Along with his attorney, he is seeking compensation for emotional distress.
“Thank God he didn’t get cut. But … the emotional and mental trauma is still there, and that’s considered damage,” says his attorney, Amy Vahdat of Vahdat and Associates.
Molina also told Fujii he is speaking out to make sure what he alleged happened to him happens to no one else. And he thinks it’s too late for that apology.MORE NEWS: Worker Critically Burned In Explosion, Fire In Chipotle Of Downtown LA High-Rise, Dozens Evacuated
“Sorry wouldn’t cut it because they shouldn’t have let it happen in the first place,” Molina says.