HOLLYWOOD (CBSLA.com) — State geologists confirmed Thursday that an active earthquake fault runs underneath the site of the proposed Millennium Hollywood project, which if built, would be the tallest building in Hollywood.

Scientists with the California Geological Survey released a final map (PDF) that shows the Hollywood Fault cuts through the properties of the proposed twin-skyscraper mega-project.

READ MORE: LA City Council To Vote Tuesday On Ghost Gun Ban

The actual fault is only about 50-feet wide, authorities explained.

The Millennium project includes 35- and 39-story towers, which would dwarf all other buildings in the Hollywood area, including the 13-story Capitol Records building next to it.

CBS2’s Randy Paige spoke with California Geological Survey Geologist Tim McCrink, who said more testing now needs to be done.

“If the earthquake is caused by that fault, and that fault ruptures under the structure, it could break the structure itself,” said McCrink.

“In that weakened state, the shaking from that same earthquake could shake it down and collapse it,” McCrink added. “Anybody in that collapsed building will have a pretty serious problem.”

READ MORE: New Princess Diana Exhibit To Open In Santa Monica

State Geologist Dr. John Parrish warned the City Council in July 2013 that the agency could soon conclude the fault ran through the Millennium Hollywood project.

“We’re looking at this particular trace to be a high-risk active fault,” Parrish said.

The State Mining and Geology Board defines a high-risk active fault to be one that has ruptured within the past 11,000 years, according to Parrish.

The City Council approved the project last year, and Mayor Eric Garcetti signed off on it. The project has been on hold while the geological studies were conducted.

Officials with the Building and Safety Department will now decide if the controversial project moves forward.

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

MORE NEWS: LA Special Counselor To Plead Guilty To $2.2M LADWP Kickback Scheme, Bribing LADWP Officials

RELATED: [display-posts tag=”Millennium” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”5″]