LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Marlene Pinnock, the homeless woman seen captured on video being beaten in July by a CHP officer, will get $1.5 million to settle her case.
The officer identified in federal court papers as Daniel L. Andrew will resign as part of her settlement.READ MORE: Kristine Lazar, CBS2/KCAL9 Investigative Reporter, Takes Home LA Area Emmy Saturday
The 51-year-old Pinnock said she was walking along and minding her own business when the officer, who said he was trying to restrain her to keep her from walking into traffic, tackled her and punched her repeatedly in the face.
The CHP originally reported Pinnock, who has been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and was off her medication at the time of the incident, did not seek medical treatment. She actually spent about a month in the hospital.
Pinnock was walking barefoot near La Brea Avenue near an off-ramp of the 10 Freeway when she said Andrew became “arrogant acting with me” and addressed her by name.
The beating was captured on cellphone video by David Diaz, a music producer who was driving by at the time of the attack.
The CHP said Andrew, who was with the CHP less than two years, was assigned to desk duty after the attack.
On Aug. 10, Pinnock broke her silence and spoke to CBS News’ Carter Evans.
She told Evans that she believed Andrew was trying “to kill” her and she feared for her life.READ MORE: Daniel Williams, 24, Arrested In Connection To Saturday Fatal Double Shooting In Downtown Long Beach
“He was trying to beat me to death,” she said, “take my life away. For no reason. I did nothing to him.”
The CHP released a statement about the settlement and case overnight Wednesday.
“The bulk of the settlement establishes a special needs trust for Ms. Pinnock to provide a mechanism for her long term care. Additionally, Officer Andrew has elected to resign,” Officer Jaime Coffee said.
A news conference will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday by a coalition of civil rights groups calling for criminal charges to be pressed against Andrew.
The CHP forwarded the results of their investigation last week to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office.
RELATED STORIES:LA County Continues To See COVID-19 Surge, Doctor Says Not Getting Vaccine Reckless