LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Several events across the Southland, including community gatherings, film screens and ceremonies, will remember the 13th anniversary of the September 11th attacks.
Mayor Eric Garcetti, new LAFD Chief Ralph Terrazas and LAPD Chief Charlie Beck will gather for a 10 a.m. ceremony at the Frank Hotching Memorial Training Center in Elysian Park.READ MORE: Deputies Shoot At Van In Norwalk Careening Towards Them
Terrazas is also expected to take part in a remembrance ceremony tonight at LAFD Station 88, the Sherman Oaks home of the search-and-rescue team that deployed to New York following the attacks.
Other Los Angeles County Events include:
– 9/11: Never Forget Project ceremony at Trinity Classical Academy, 28310 Kelly Johnson Parkway in Santa Clarita
– Beverly Hills will hold its annual remembrance ceremony at the 9/11 Memorial Garden, 445 N. Rexford Drive
– In San Pedro, the USS Iowa will hold two events, the first of which beginning at 11 a.m. with a ceremony honoring first responders, followed by a 7 p.m. candlelight vigil
– In Torrance, the anniversary will be marked with a performance of “110 Stories,” a play featuring 14 actors who tell 110 stories recounting the actions of heroes during the attacksREAD MORE: Chargers Fail To Capitalize On Opportunities In 20-17 Loss To Cowboys
– The Museum of Tolerance will host the West Coast premiere screening of “Liberty, Courage and Hope: The Portrait of an American Hero,” narrated by Alec Baldwin
-Pepperdine University will hold a 12:15 p.m. service in its Heroes Garden honoring victims of the attack in addition to their annual flag display
Orange County Events:
– Anaheim firefighters and police officers will hold a 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony at the Anaheim Convention Center at 8:46 a.m., the time the first plane struck one of the towers.
– The Nixon Presidential Library and Museum’s annual ceremony will include a speech by Marine Corps Lt. Gen. David Berger, commander of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton.
– Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens will speak at noon at Irvine Valley College’s 9/11 commemoration ceremony, which will include a helicopter landing.
– At 2:15 p.m., Long Beach firefighter Gary Biggerstaff will continue his annual procession of dozens of motorcyclists from Trabuco Canyon to Long Beach. The ride begins at Cook’s Corner in Trabuco Canyon and winds through Santiago Canyon north to the 241 Toll Road south to Laguna Canyon Road and up Pacific Coast Highway.MORE NEWS: The Full List Of Winners Of The 2021 Emmy Awards
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)