LADERA RANCH ( — Firefighters responded Thursday to a fire at a duplex in Ladera Ranch, officials said.

The blaze along the 100 block of Sklar Street was reported around 2:20 p.m., according to Orange County Fire Authority officials.

Crews had put the fire out by about 2:35 p.m., officials said.

Officials believe the fire started in the garage of the home.

A 10-year-old girl was reportedly home alone at the time. The little girl’s brother was playing outside at the time of the fire.

CBS2’s Michele Gile said the girl is credited by firefighters for keeping calm and keeping her wits about her.

The little girl was playing Xbox when she heard a loud explosion and smelled smoke.

The elementary school student grabbed her cell phone, called 911 and got the Orange County Fire Authority dispatched.

Steve Concialdi, public information officer of the OCFA, said the girl’s father told her just days ago, “If there’s an earthquake or a fire,  the first thing you do is call 911. You don’t call dad, you don’t call mom, you call 911. And she was so brave.”

He added, “She got out safely … stayed on the phone the whole time. She told the dispatcher the address and that her brother was outside and no one else was home.”

Gile said the garage had a 1951 Chevy and many old batteries stacked up being charge and believe that could have been the cause of the fire.







Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE