STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — Donna Tetreault, Parenting Reporter from SuperMommyNot.com, stopped by KCAL9 Thursday to tell viewers how to pick the perfect summer camp for kids.
How To Pick The Perfect Summer Camp For Your Kids:READ MORE: Authorities Ask Public For Info On Couple Charged 6-Year-Old Aiden Leos Freeway Shooting Death
• History: There are definitely great new camps out there. But some experts (and families) believe that operating a camp for decades, especially with the same staff, does mean something. In today’s world, a camp simply couldn’t stay in business for generations if it were unsafe or poorly run.
• Philosophy: Does it focus on sports? Arts? Leadership? How is this philosophy integrated into its programs?
• Emphasis on creating community: Good camps think about how they place kids together to create the most inclusive experience for all. Another hallmark of community is a scholarship program.
• Well-trained staff: Adequate numbers for a low campers-to-staffers ratio (about 10 to 1 for kids ages 8 to 14). The staff should be background-checked, too, with references, an interview and a criminal-records search.
• Element of choice: Your child will feel more independent if he can choose some activities.
• A communications plan for letting parents know about upcoming events, and for notifying them if a child becomes sick or injured. They also have a consistent policy on camper phone use.
• A high standard of accreditation
• CostREAD MORE: Crash On 10 Freeway In West LA Leaves One Dead
Go-To List of some of the Best Summer Camps in L.A.
• Prime Time Sports Camp- Pacific Palisades
o This is a camp for sports fanatics of all ages. From baseball to volley ball, martial arts to track and field, this camp will keep your kids moving at high speed and wear them out before nightfall. There isn’t a sport they do not cover and if they don’t, they will improvise.
• Camp Tocaloma
o Aloha Beach Camp Malibu
o Aloha is a hidden Hawaiian adventure camp in Los Angeles. Kids will learn to surf, boogie board, and Jet Ski as well as deepen their understanding of beach ecology. With a highly trained staff, the camp is broken down into three sections according to age groups and activity levels. Kids will be mastering the ocean after one week at this Aloha paradise.
• Tom Sawyer Camp Pasadena, La Canada
o Hiking, dam building, horseback riding, frog catching, swimming, tennis, archery and more. This camp has an old school charm nestled in the woods, surrounded by the beauty and wonder of nature.
• Burbank Music Academy BurbankMORE NEWS: LA Presiding Judge Extends Deadlines For Criminal Trials
o For kids who want a music break, this academy will fulfill their rock star dreams.
o The summer camps introduce kids to rock and roll through bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, vocal instruction, stage movement, music genres all while introducing them to the music of legendary artists. Students rotate through the instruments before gravitating to the one they most prefer.
o Once they choose their instrument, they are put in a band with other students where they learn to coordinate the music.