HOLLYWOOD (CBSLA.com) — The ever-controversial Hollywood Millennium Project was accused Friday of wrongdoing and ethics violations.READ MORE: Man Fatally Shot In Officer-Involved Shooting In San Fernando
Lawyer Robert Silverstein represents several groups fighting the proposed 36 and 39-story skyscraper project located where the Capitol Records building stood.
CBS2’s Amy Johnson was there when Silverstein called the project “the worst project in the last 20 years in the city of Los Angeles.”
Silverstein Friday also accused developers of wrongdoing and questionable ethics.
“Now is the time for the city Ethic’s Commission and other responsible agencies to make our formal complaints their top priority,” said Silverstein.
The lawyer filed a lawsuit against the developers and the city.
He claims the city purposely overlooked the active fault line that runs directly beneath the property and believe they looked the other way when safety concerns were raised.
Silverstein claims Raymond Chan, interim general manager of the Department of Building and Safety, also has an improper relationship with the building’s developers. Chan’s son was a paid intern at Sheppard Mullin, the developer’s lead law firm.
On tape, Silverstein provided documentation where he asks why Chan didn’t disclose this fact to the city.READ MORE: Police Say 12 Arrested In Huntington Beach As Demonstrators Clash
Chan is heard to say, “Because when I got involved in this project, in July of last year, my son was not with the law firm.”
“He claimed he was not involved with his department’s controversial handling of the Millennium Project prior to July 2013,” said Silverstein, “and that statement by Mr. Chan is patently false.”
Silverstein also claimed Chan’s son donated $4,600 to various campaigns to push the project through.
Mayor Eric Garcetti said his campaign received donations from a variety of independent sources and said there would be no way to prevent any group from giving if they were independent.
“I know as to my campaign, I didn’t want to take any direct money from them,” said Garcetti.
“As Mayor of Los Aneles and someone who used to represent Hollywood as a councilman,” Garcetti sai, “safety for the people who live there is number one.”
Before safety tests are concluded next year, Silverstein is calling for an investigation.
“We urge the city’s Ethics Commission to immediately investigate,” he said.MORE NEWS: LAUSD Begins Phased-In Reopening Starting This Week
Johnson tried to get comments from Chan and the developers but did not hear back from them.