COACHELLA (CBS) —  A driver suffered second-degree burns when propane tanks in the back of his pickup exploded while he waited with his family in a drive-through at a McDonald’s restaurant in Coachella, a fire department spokeswoman said Sunday.

The man was in the drive-through at the McDonald’s at 83-097 Ave. 48 at about 1:45 p.m. Saturday when he heard a hissing noise coming from one of two tanks, Melody Hendrickson of the fire department said.

READ MORE: 3 Killed In Fiery Wreck In Burbank

When he checked on the leaking tank, static electricity ignited it and caused both tanks to explode, Hendrickson said.

“The blast caused the roof of the truck to buckle and the tailgate to blow off, striking a vehicle behind it,” said sheriff’s Sgt. Robert Bishop.

READ MORE: Police Dog Reportedly Bites 5-Year-Old Boy In Head

“The patrons of the restaurant were evacuated during the incident. The family in the truck was transported to a local area hospital after suffering from non- life-threatening injuries, including burns.”

The fire engulfed the truck, scorched part of the drive-through, and damaged the roof of the restaurant, Bishop said.

The fire was put out by 2:01 p.m., and there were no injuries among restaurant employees or customers, Hendrickson said.

MORE NEWS: LAPD Officer Suspended After Resisting Arrest By Ventura County Deputies

 (©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)