LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Patricia Wright is serving time for killing her husband, but to this day, she still claims that she is innocent. Now the 60-year-old has an even bigger battle — cancer.

Doctors say that she has about 6 months to live. Her family is trying to get her released, but if their efforts fail, she will die alone in a Northern California prison.

“It is extremely painful when my sister calls and tells me that her head is hurting, her body is hurting,” said Wrights sister, Vanessa.

Wrights family, along with a group called Families to Amend California’s Three Strikes (FACTS), rallied Wednesday in outside of Governor Jerry Brown’s Los Angles office, asking to grant her clemency.

“She’s in prison as a wrongfully-convicted woman. The prestigious innocence project in New York took her case,” said FACTS Director Geri Silva.

Wrights ex-husband was found stabbed to death in his motorhome along East Temple Street in Downtown Los Angeles in 1981.

Wrights family says that although there was no physical or forensic evidence linking Wright to the crime, she was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder 17 years later.

Supports say not only was Wright wrongfully convicted, but that she also had two felonies added to her record this year.

“Two of the felonies are for two toys that [cost] 99 cents that her son actually stole, not her,” Vanessa said.

Vanessa sent petitions for clemency to the governor. She said he responded, saying his hands were tied, because Wright had three felonies on her record.

“The governor said that once one of the felonies was reduced to a misdemeanor, he would be willing to sign,” Vanessa said.

Although the Wright family is trying to get the felonies reduced in court, they know time is not on their side.

Supporters Wednesday knocked on the doors of the governor’s office, but no one was there.

We reached out to the office as well for comment, but our call had not yet been returned at the time of this writing.

“We’re all suffering and just because of two 99-cent toys, my sister can’t come home and die.”

Comments (24)
  1. christian says:

She should not be released. Doing so would just open the flood gates.

1. LPC says:

Agreed. If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime. Additionally, isn’t that what Life without Parole means. Until death!!!

2. Mike duks says:

best of luck. it’s horrible to see a family member be ravaged by cancer. I cannot imagine how much worse it must be when your loved one is incarcerated. amazing how the scottish let a terrorist out of prison on compassionate grounds three years ago when he had six months to live. He’s still alive, living in Libya. He was convicted of blowing up Pan Am flight 103. Last I checked, blowing up a plane is a much worse crime against humanity than shoplifting and conspiracy to commit murder. Come on Attorney General Harris and Governor Brown. I voted for you two bec ause I thought you were BOTH hardcore bleeding heart liberals, like me. Thanks for letting me down.
    Here’s a suggestion: let her out on compassionate grounds with an asterisk – should her health improve she will have to return to prison to serve out her term. That avoids egg on your face should her health improve once released.
    The only positive spin on this story is that she is probably receiving better care in prison than most of us would get in general society. Even if it’s the same, can’t beat the monetary price SHE (note I did not say the tax payer) is paying for her treatment. Out here she’d be paying thousands if she was lucky enough to have insurance.

3. krg says:

Just curious how stealing a 99 cent toy is a felony. My guess is there is more to the story.

1. Timothy McGarry says:

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. Either a great injustice, or a big load of B.S.

2. ?? says:

Not possible that two 99 cent toys would be recorded as a felony. Until this year, it had to be merchandise over 500 dollars to qualify. This year, it was raised much, much higher. ANd, how could she have stolen toys while in prison? Either the reporting sound wrong, or the family is mixed up.
      Anyways, if she is on her deathbed, why not just let her go and save on room and board?

4. Alex says:

Doesn’t seem right that a terrorist is released for compassion but not this lady. Seems crazy. Let her die at home. She’s been punished enough.

1. RD says:

That’s the point of life in prison. She killed someone – she has to pay UNTIL DEATH IN PRISON

5. Die Wright says:

Folks, she is in prison because she was CONVICTED of KILLING her husband! Read the article! If we let her out because (boo hoo!) she has cancer, then we’re gonna have to release EVERY inmate who is dying of cancer and/or other illnesses. And of course that is LUDICROUS! I could care LESS that she is dying of cancer! She is a CONVICTED MURDERER and she deserves to die alone behind those cold prison bars! May she ROT in HELL!

1. Bud says:

This is for ‘Die Wright” author…..you’re a cold piece. If that were your family member that had been convicted of something that was questionable to say the least you would be pounding down the doors to get your family member out and at home so that they could die with a small amount of dignity. You are one of those ‘if it’s in the news it must be true’ people and that is exactly what is wrong with the world today. Were you there? Did you see that crime happen? Are you sure she is the right suspect? No to all of the above. I feel sorry for you when your time comes because someone bigger than you or I is going to judge you and that won’t be such a pretty picture. Wonder how many second chances you have had in your miserable life????

1. Duh! says:

BUd – Were you there? Did you see that crime happen?

How can you be sure that they did not get the right person?
        What evidence was used to convict her? Obviously a jury found her guilty or she wouldn’t be a convicted felon. So the evidence must be pretty strong.

Unless you are telling us that you have information about this crime because you are the one that actually committed the murder.

2. Mike says:

‘You are one of those ‘if it’s in the news it must be true’ people and that is exactly what is wrong with the world today.’

Bud, by your very statement, you are what is wrong with the world today. Bud, how do you know this lady has cancer, because of this ‘news’ article?

However, I do agree with your statement about being judged by someone higher than both you and I.

2. alimiel57 says:

Die Wright I just read the first few words of your comment and I have come to the conclusion that you are a wothless, uncaring, heartless, cold, miserable piece of human (and I use the word human very, very lightly. I beleive in Karma and YOU are going to get yours for the insensitive comments that you have writtten about this woman who is suffering from Cancer. You Sir (or madam) will get yours….Mark my words!!!

1. rich says:

i won’t say i know that she did this crime but by the same measure we don’t know that she didn’t so till it is proven that she DID NOT DO IT i belive she needs to stay in jail she is not the first nor the last person in jail to get sick do i feel sorry that shes dieing alone SURE it stinks that she will die alone BUT if she did do the crime then why should she be released so she can die with her family there?? i have a cousin who is pulling a long sentance for a crime im not sure he did well let me say that im not sure that the sentance he got for ACCESSORY fits but that is what he got and when his mother was dieing we took a shot in the dark and requested that he be allowed to attend the funeral with some form of escort we of course were denied we were sad but since he did what he did that was the price he had to pay. again i DO NOT say this woman is guilty i was not there but if she is then she is not due any mercy to be released so she can die at home

6. alimiel57 says:

bill burns….you are another piece of worthless human….what does Obama have to do with anything….You miserable poor excuse for a human being!!! Go back under the rock you came from!!! People like you and Die Wright disgust me to no end….you make me want to puke!!!!

7. Smokey says:

Ah liberals….they only care about criminals and never the victims. The “two felonies” probably refers to Penal Code Section 666 which makes petty theft a felony if you have been previously convicted of a theft and spent time in jail. Boo Hoo, so she has cancer…she needs to serve her time like every other criminal. The only evidence she didn’t commit the crime is her family claiming she didn’t do it….now that’s hard evidence for a liberal!! BTW..I am not a liberal because my mother refused to breed with someone outside her species.

8. Phoebe says:

Let’s say she were be released. Who will pick up the tab for her medical care? Is the family capable of being financially responsible ($$)? Or would the taxpayers (Medi-Cal)? With her incarcerated the taxpayers are already paying for her care. The taxpayer funded Medi-Cal system is bursting at the seams paying for illegals & their kids, &for many who have learned to work the system. But no one will address those issues. This state is broke. . . we just can’t continue to be so generous to everyone anymore.

9. Beverly Hills says:

It’s a sad case all around. However, you have to consider the victim and the victim’s family. Her family wants to be there when she dies. The victim’s family never got to be there when he died. I’m a Black woman and we can’t always defer to race as a problem solver. I’m in prayer for her health, not her release.

1. Mike says:

Well said Beverly!

10. cliffClaven says:

Very Sad. They act like jungle savages.

11. Mike says:

How convenient of the sister to omit a key word, like ‘MURDER’, in her statement.

12. nonparieldolls says:

Did she or didn’t she commit a crime? Well, at some point in time a jury of 12 people heard evidence presented and decided she did. And what was the crime? It was murdering her husband. As for the other two felonies on her record, all the article contains are statements from her family that “it was for shopliifting two 99-cent toys”, supposedly really stolen by her son.

I’m sorry this lady has cancer, but I don’t know why that should automatically get her released from jail. She was tried, convicted and sentenced. Her husband probably would have liked to get out of his grave and probably his family would have liked him released from HIS death sentence.

There’s more to the story re the three felonies. This woman did something to land her in jail. Her family is now branding her child as a criminal as well, saying some items he stole resulted in her two other felony convictions. Again, there had to be a trial at some time, somewhere, for her to have been charged and convicted.

So I’ll save my sorrow for the victims of crime, not the perpetrators. If the Governor, who has access to more information than I have, decides to release this person on compassionate grounds, so be it. For me, I think she should stay where she is. If her family is suffering it’s her fault, not society’s. This woman was rounded up in the middle of the night and thrown in jail for no cause. Oddly enough, when you don’t commit crimes you don’t end up in these types of situations.

13. Charlotte says:

I think there is more to the story. I didn’t realize that she was charged and convicted of murdering her ex-husband 17 years after his murder. After she has left what she describes as an abusive relationship and had remarried.

14. Max Hadley says:

Patricia Wright is a VICTIM of a corrupt LAPD Officer. I work in the legal field and have seen the same officer.. same MO send someone else to death row this same claim of exculpatory taped evidence vanishing,. … I can’t say more, but she IS INNOCENT!