SAN DIMAS (CBS) — An afternoon hike turned into an overnight ordeal when a couple, whose 80-pound dog joined them for the trek, couldn’t make it back down the trail.

Officials said the dog, Baxter, a Labrador mix, suffered cuts to his paws from rocks on the trail at the Angeles National Forest, just north of San Dimas. The walk became too hard and he grew too tired, forcing his owners to call police for help.

The couple couldn’t carry the dog themselves, so they waited overnight for help to arrive.

On Sunday morning, a rescue helicopter arrived and had to completely shut down to calm the frightened dog enough to board. The couple and the dog were eventually airlifted to safety.

The couple, who did not have clothing or camping supplies, was cold when they were picked up, but were said to be doing fine.

Comments (402)
  1. Rochelle Warner says:

When did we become so obsessed with “companion” animals? They are treated better than abused women and children. Case workers are overwhelmed with their case loads. No one sends a medi-vac helicopter in to save a child thrown against a wall at 2:00am. Heck, we don’t HEAR about that child, but by goodness we need to hear about a dog’s bleeding paws. I grew up on a farm. If the farm dog got sick or too weak to live, it was put down and another dog was brought in to take its place. They are a dime-a-dozen, folks. Bob Barker says so!

1. y777 says:

girl, you and your ilk are so warped in your pseudo-intellectual commentaries and comparisons. Being loving and compassionate towards animals doesn’t negate being loving and compassionate towards humans. It’s a lame argument at best and a tired one. ps Quit taking Bob Barker’s comments out of context to give credence to your own. He LOVED animals and would do anything for them!

2. diana says:

Your an idiot, go and commit suicide no one would give a damm!

2. obama lied says:

Only democrats would waste this kind of taxpayer money.

3. Bill H says:

Hmm, so was the couple charges for the airlift fee? And did this, undoubtedly, environmentally sensitive couple pay for carbon offsets for the fuel that was used for the airlift?

4. CB says:

I can’t believe I read all these comments with so much BS. Time to leave this country.

5. russ says:

Stupid humans! Taking their dog on a hike in rough terrain.

6. Jill says:

Bravo for these dog owners and Super Bravo for the emergency personnel! This makes me very proud. Sure, the emergency services could have said no. Saying no is always easiest-but look what happens because they said yes instead. Lots of happiness instead of pain! To anyone who thinks it is a waste of money and resources- ever seen a training exercise? They are even more involved and cost more, so why not use an opportunity like this for training! Yay!

7. Fat Man from Michigan says:

A tired dog gets more attention than an unborn child.

The end times are near.

8. RobertT says:

Two people couldn’t carry an 80 lb dog? They should spend less time hiking and more time strength training.

1. Reality says:

Funny as hell, but I thinketh they really needed WISDOM training.
      And if they haven’t got it at their age, brother, they ain’t getting it.

9. ringle 76 says:

This story is indicative of what’s wrong with a big segment of society today. These people called for rescue not because they had to, but because it was easy. If they hadn’t had a phone, if the rescuers had laughed at them and told them to get off the line, like they should have, they and the dog would have managed to get out just fine. Even if it took them several days, I’m sure they all would have survived. They called for an expensive rescue, that they will no doubt complain about the bill for, because the only thing that mattered at the time was that they were uncomfortable. Given a little time, the dog no doubt would have been able to continue but that was too much to bear because like way to many people these days they’re big babies.

10. Humpy says:

James E. Unger? Is that “Unger the Bunger”, king of the bus station men’s room?

11. Sean says:

LOL, California.

Hopefully the rescue chopper was funded federally, so all U.S. taxpayers can help pay to indulge the whims of the Hollywood set.

12. kawman-sense says:

Gmafb!!!!

13. Allan says:

Who is paying for this airlift!? We have a mighty unhealthy national conscience when animals are elevated to a status as to deserve such elaborate measures.

Imagine how decadent stories like this must sound to the millions of people worldwide who eke out a mere existence. We are a wealthy nation and poor stewards of an inheritance we’ve grown to think of as inexhaustible. I love my animals, but in the end that’s all they are animals.

14. Jose says:

California is so nice. Rescue came out with divers to find my hamster that fell overboard. the poor little guy did not make it but darn if 50 divers didn’t try. I did not have to pay the bill on that one because i am an illegal.

15. Joel says:

Pink Juice, or improvise? Plenty of large rocks laying around I’m sure. To bad the helicopter didn’t go down and take all of them out…. what a bunch of tools.

I will admit – it was a good laugh. Thanks Drudge.

16. Doug says:

odd behavior for a dog, especially a lab. Don’t know of any that tire before a person would. I live in Colorado and I’ve seen dogs sprint at 14,000 feet long after their owners are whooped. Should have gotten him some dog boots.

17. FiremanBill says:

Can someone call the Helo crew? I see a downed squirrel on my street.. hasn’t moved for a while.. If we can just save one life people!..

18. Ralph Pooch K9 says:

Oh, I get it. These are crazy Californians commenting on this site. Most are so full of themselves that they have no fealings for God’s creatures.
    In case you haven’t figured it out, rescues are funded in advanced by tax dollars because no one knows when they may be the one to need it.

Next time you get stuck in an elevator, I hope the Fire Department gives you a whopping bill. Next time your toilet backs up, I hope the plumber charges you a fortune. (I use a tree or fire plug. They never back up.) And next time you get bed bugs, I hope the exterminator takes three weeks to show up. (I just pop on a flea collar.)

19. lairdkeir says:

I hope they have to pay costs. Imagine with the economy the way it is, sending an helicopter just for a dog!

20. stolid says:

I sprained my ankle deep in a park once; lucky thing the ambulance could get to me. EMTs told me the helo would’ve cost $10K – doubt insurance would’ve paid that.

21. Reality--sooner or later says:

My name is Tammy. I’m 10 and I feel for the poor dog. I have a cow named Betsy and my parents are sending her to the slaughterhouse. Can you send that Helo over to air lift Betsy to safety? Please. I cry a lot about Betsy. Don’t be meanies.

22. Wayne McLemore says:

Send the owners a bill for the search and rescue ride just to pick up their doggie.

23. y777 says:

girl, you and your ilk are so warped in your pseudo-intellctual commentaries and comparisons. Being compassionate and loving towards animals doesn’t negate having compassion and love towards human beings. .It’s a lame argument at best, and a tired one. ps Quit taking Bob Barker’s comments out of context to give credence to yours. He LOVED all animals and would do anything for them.

24. Templar X says:

Just fine them whatever it cost to get the do out!

25. JL says:

How hard could it have been to fashion a litter and share the weight of the dog? These owners were irresponsible and should be charged.

26. BOLUDEZ says:

The Chinese are LAUGHING at this story. They EAT these dogs that we airlift at taxpayer expense and money they lend us to keep our economy going. What a joke. This story perfectly exemplifies what is wrong with liberalism in America today. It is called MISPLACED COMPASSION. If we don’t change this our civilization will go by way of the Mayans.

1. y777 says:

Hey Gary… what planet are you from?! Your pshyco-babble makes no sense, and your obvious disdain for animals, and people who have animals reeks of ignorance. You’re tired of closing your eye? Try closing your mouth because you obviously have nothing good”” say.

1. y777 says:

oooops! re previous comment… intended word is “PSYCHO-babble”

27. anne hilliard says:

There are a lot of sick twisted people here who would deny saving man’t best friend. Something is wrong with people who hate animals. No wonder our country is in such a mess. Full of people full of hate.

28. Bubba Moose says:

I like dogs, but I wouldn’t call myself a “dog person” So, what is it with dog people that makes them want to take their dogs EVERYWHERE, including places where there are “NO PETS” signs or other places where a dog has no business being. This was totally nuts.

29. justsaying says:

Why would a couple who loves their pet so much ever put the dog in such a life threatening sitution? They should be joyous that a rescue was feasbile, and gladly reimburse the entire expense of the rescue.

30. Chris says:

There’s a special place in hell for people who lack compassion for animals.

31. asdf says:

I can see the mindless drudgereport drones are out in force on this one.

32. Hank Warren says:

Wasting taxpayer money airlifting dogs, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our rights:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama, vote for Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

33. Tom says:

I was hoping to read that tax dollars didn’t pay for all this….and that the couple walked out instead of flying out, if they were able.

34. Nancy says:

whoever got the “sensational” story, must have been low on the pole. Of, course the couple would have to be rescued and does it take more $$ to rescue the dog too? As for tax dollars, they(private parties) who use the service pays for the service. What would you think the pilot did? save the dog by “airflight” and let the couple walk out. DUH!!!
    The name dumb works well though

35. hunter says:

@gary… I guess you’re going to hell t en

36. HooDatIS? says:

what a waste of taxpayers dollars
    i love animals but this goes too far

37. Maria Gomez says:

My mexican husband gets dog tired all the times. Why? He is on the run all the time. Why don’t you find someone to rescue him. I never pay tax, but so? You the amelican own us.

38. Cicada says:

Ok first of all… I am an illegal person… sucks… I apologies for my family coming here the wrong way
    I was only 3 months old when I was brought here… I’m sorry my mother probably got medical for me
    And I attended public school… every class was crowded and mostly yes…. From immigrant children…
    Probably robbed a few good Americans from a more attentive teacher… sorry for not paying taxes…
    I grew up thinking I was legal till the day I turned 17 and wanted to join the Marine Corps.
    I got the bad news… now I’m 23 and have more Pride of my country …
    Than most people who are born here…. I would fight and die for this country…
    Now to the issue of the Dog… I’ve hiked on that mountain many times… I personally don’t think a
    Helicopter should have been dispatch to rescue a dog… im sure a few men could of carried
    The dog to safety… not to mention the owners… 80 pound between 2 people is not that bad…
    I don’t think the dog should have been shot… that’s just stupid…

39. jocuri cu trenuri says:

Simply want to say your article is as amazing. The clearness for your post is simply great and i can suppose you are an expert in this subject. Well along with your permission let me to grasp your feed to stay updated with drawing close post. Thank you a million and please keep up the rewarding work.