OXNARD (CBS) — Andrea Reyes says her 14-year-old son was always the picture of health.
But last month, he came down with bronchitis and told his mother he wasn’t feeling well.
A doctor diagnosed Jacob Olivares with bronchitis, prescribed medicine and sent him home.
He only got worse. He even started to hallucinate. Reyes rushed him to the hospital.
According to the Ventura County Star, within minutes, the boy who loved to play basketball went into cardiac arrest.
After being airlifted to Children’s Hospital, Olivares went into cardiac arrest a second time.
Five days later, he was taken off life support.
The bronchial infection led to a staph infection. In turn, the boy had toxic shock.
Reyes has four other children and wants the public’s help in paying for her son’s funeral.
“As a mother,” she says somberly, “I can’t explain how I feel.”
Suzie Suh, reporting for CBS2 and KCAL9, spoke to a heartbroken Reyes.
Suh reports an account has been set up in the name of Virginia Reyes at Chase Bank. To help donate, the account number is 890187321.