LOS ANGELES (CBS) —The glow-stick industry may be buzzing over the latest public service announcement from Los Angeles County, but some say it amounts to an backhanded endorsement of illicit drug use.

Amid ongoing debate over safety and security measures at rave dance parties held at the Los Angeles Coliseum, county health officials have quietly launched a campaign to offer guidelines for safe use of MDMA, more popularly known as “ecstasy”.

Officials plan to distribute leaflets such as the one pictured below at upcoming events with tips on ways to avoid overdosing on what the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration classifies along with PCP and mescaline as a Schedule I narcotic.

The death of a 15-year-old girl and hundreds of injuries at the 14th annual Electric Daisy Carnival held in the publicly-owned Los Angeles Coliseum in June 2010 sparked a public backlash over the potential safety hazards of hosting upwards of 180,000 young people, but the Coliseum Commission says it intends to move ahead with the event this year.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments (235)
  1. Mike says:

Illegal drugs have the strongest effect on people who’ve never taken them. The reason X is sometimes dangerous is because it’s often not pure or something different entirely. Why is that? Because of the pointless war on drugs the proper ingredients are hard to get, but demand is still high so it still gets made or made and mixed with other stuff.
    Pure MDMA isn’t at all the killer that the propaganda tells you it is. The drug problem is mostly a result of drug laws, not the actual substance itself.
    Yes, I’ve taken X before and I can honestly say my life is better for it. It was definitely a positive rather than negative experience. It’s not something I’d want to do too often, but it’s certainly not the demon killer drug it’s made out to be. That’s just lies and propaganda. I don’t deny that It could be abused, but sugar and KFC can be abused too, and a lot more people a stricken with diabetes and heart disease than die from X.
    What’s likely to do more damage, a bender with a little X or the DEA kicking in your door?

1. Lisa Colorado says:

My life is better in some ways because I could see altered perceptions. But I think drug use made me more vulnerable to problems with brain chemistry that’s been hard to deal with.

2. Chris says:

Ecstasy is a form of methamphetamine. That is all we need is to legalize something like that. I tire of the arguments over the war on drugs. The excuse is that we should legalize the drugs because the police can’t stop their use. While you are at it, legalize burglary, robbery, and rape. The same argument apply to those too. Legalizing drugs is a bad idea. Just as there are victims of the other crimes, there are victims of drug abusers. Legalizing the drugs will just increase the problems.

3. Mike says:

I don’t mean to kill your buzz Chris, but ingesting a substance by itself is a victimless crime. If you commit a crime while under the influence then it’s your own fault, but getting high is a private thing that only you experience.
    The crime associated with “drugs” is really cause by the laws not the drugs. Just ask yourself as you’re feeling righteous… “What would Jesus do?”

4. Steve Steverson says:

These kids just need to stop doing MDMA and do L.S.D. like an adult.

5. Lisa Colorado says:

When I took it I had someone coaching me on safety. I was going to do it anyway, so I’m glad someone taught me. I only did it once because I wanted to try it but had an instinct to lessen the amount of times I let myself be so helpless. I think people ought to be schooled if they want to get high. They also need to be told that children are more important than getting high, and that love requires us to be there for one another, and drugs do not help with that.

6. DigitalBob says:

Thanks, Governor Moonbeam

7. Bill S. says:

Ecstasy is a dangerous drug and I don’t condone the use of it by anyone. However, the fact is that people are going to do it regardless of the amount of campaigning any organization does against it. So I think that this is a good move by LA County to at least try to help the users do it safely that are going to just ignore the people that try to dissuade them from doing it in the first place. Maybe this can help save someone from an overdose and if it does, then it is well worth it.

8. Floored says:

ROLLLLLLLLLLLL BAAAWWWWLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZ

9. Dana says:

People take drugs, drugs are dangerous, we should outlaw all drugs. People eat cake, cake makes people fat, we should outlaw all cake. Or all forks, that will keep them from eating fat too. What ever happened to personal responsibility? Are we too stupid to make our own choices? What are we sheep?

1. Dutra says:

Yes, you are too stupid. Drugs make you do stupid things. Drugs cause dependencies. Tax payers and innocents pay the price.

I’ll make a deal with you druggies. You overdose, crash, get sick, suffer brain damage, and you are on your own. No hospitalization, therapy, counseling, incarceration, NOTHING! Sit in a corner and enjoy the outcome. You did it to yourself. And you are so smart.

10. Dutra says:

Hey druggies! Do the Darwinian thing; just don’t hang around long and punish the tax payers.

11. Dr. Don says:

Hydration does not prevent hyperthermia from MDMA

12. Seth says:

I’ve read through this and read all of the posts. People are going to use drugs one way or the other, they all have their own reasons, that’s just that fact of the matter. Just like people drink, you can get addicted. Is it judicially wrong? Yes, but California is wasting money on people in their early teens and twenty’s for experimenting with something that makes you fell good. Most of the people that go to raves know how to take the drug safely but they are people that, don’t. Obviously the war on drugs has been a complete failure, because the state has to post flyers like this to take a drug safely. This is one of the best things they could do, this will prevent deaths in the future, and honestly that is the goal of this flyer. You can be critical all you want saying “It’s a drug and it can hurt you.” Well, thanks we all learned that in high school, people need to know if you are going to use the drug how to at least do it safely. I don’t condone drug use but it is going to happen one way or the other no matter how much people complain and try to tell me Jesus wouldn’t do drugs, people are going to do it. Why not give people have the information so that they don”t die?

13. Harutun says:

Haha I remember back in 09. I will try and quote best from my memory what was written in small print on the back of EDC’s brochure/ad. “Electric Daisy Carnival is a love filled and drug free environment”. Now if and when I buy tickets Im gonna get a PSA video telling me to “safely” take ecstacy at the event. How is this going to make the scene look better? Its not at all…

14. Peter Sousa says: