LOS ANGELES (AP) — Tennis star Pete Sampras says most of his trophies and other memorabilia were stolen from a West Los Angeles public storage facility.

The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday that Sampras still has 13 of his 14 grand slam trophies.

But thieves took most of the hardware from his 64 tour title wins, two Davis Cups, an Olympic ring and six trophies for finishing world No. 1 in the year-end rankings from 1993 to 1998.

The theft happened three weeks ago. Sampras says he’s getting the word out in hopes somebody offers a lead.

Sampras retired in 2003 and said the loss is most upsetting because he would have liked to have shown the trophies to his children.

He says the loss “is like having the history of my tennis life taken away.”

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments (106)
  1. notting says:

public storage facility?

2. Karen says:

That is sad.

Why isn’t the storage company named. They should be identified since it should be their job to keep the area secure. They should suffer a bit of “name recognition” for their failure.

3. KW says:

He Should have stayed in Tampa

4. Paul L says:

No room in the mansion for an Olympic ring? He should have been too embarrassed to admit it was in storage!

Idiot.

5. blogger101 says:

I saw that stuff on that TV show where the dudes all bid $4 for the entire unit. I think it went for like $550.

6. August says:

His $25 MILLION house is for sale; and according to HGTV house stagers clutter & trophies turn some buyers off!

1. Eac says:

Excellent piece of info! Wish your comment could be in bold and large font so all these commenters could be aware of how narrow minded they are.

7. August says:

Storage facilities are not places to store thing that are valuable or sentimental; they are broken into all the time because people don’t heed that warning!

8. don says:

Pete, check in George Bush’s basement. It has to be his fault

9. jim says:

If you were the second-best of all time, you’d have quite a few trophies laying around too. Give the guy a break.

10. Oh Grover says:

He should’ve stored it with Neil Young’s stuff………..the HYBRID AND THE DAMAGE DONE

11. bill shelton says:

His loss is real, tragic and personal to him. We should all be sorry for that. This is not the time to add to his grieving by telling him that he should have done something different, especially when no one knows why his things were in storage.

12. Hank Warren says:

Pete Sampras’ trohpies, Lindsay Lohan, Jersey Shore, all distractions. As the Mainstream Media creates illusions, the US gov’t (and their corp. friends),start more illegal wars, ban books like “America Deceived II” and bail out banks.
    Last link (before Google Books bans it also]:

13. lenny says:

Does anybody want to buy some trophies?

14. Dutra says:

Those trophies are now filled with sopa and frijoles.

15. Ken says:

The thieves are losers and Pete is a big-time winner. I feel bad for him, but he’s still tops.

16. dave marsh says:

What a cheapo, I guess Agassi was right about him after all!

17. Board is full of Einsteins says:

All of those folks saying he could just store it in his home must be living under a rock.

Orlando Bloom, Megan Fox and Lindsay Lohan all have had their houses burglarized even with the latest in security equipment. Phil Jackson actually stored his championship memorabilia in his home (as many of the geniuses here recommended as the smart thing to do) and guess what, someone broke in and stole them.

Pubic storage isn’t safe, but neither is storing those items in one’s home.

18. Blow Ne says:

Material trinkets are meaninhgless in the BIG PICTURE

19. Ka and Boom says:

Theft is theft…why so many haters decide that brow-beat Sampras?
    Jealousy…No more time to waste on this lot

20. Josh Butts says:

Damn, happened 3 weeks ago? Should have gotten the word out sooner.

21. Jim says:

There is no “Olympic Ring”. It is a medal that hangs arojnd the neck.

22. Whatwuzdat? says:

There is a report that some 5′ Mexican is going around LA saying he won the 1997 US Open and he has the proof. That would be my first suspect

23. Contarian says:

You have no idea how little I care.

24. Billy says:

Get with it Pete. The only trophies I have are from little league – and I would not put them public storage.

Since most of his wins weren’t really memorable at all I guess I agree with what he said “is like having the history of my tennis life taken away.” Now there is no proof that he actually won any tournaments.

25. killerbee says:

I guess Pete didn’t pay for 3 months AT THE STORAGE PLACE. i THINK i SAW THEM AUTION OFF HIS GEAR ON THAT t.v. show for $450.

26. Chuck Daughterson says:

QUIT DISSING PUBLIC STORAGE. They are a fine institution that caters to both the wealthy and poor and everyone in between.

They believe in free speech, free travel, and free enterprise. Some facilities even offer secured and air conditioned premises.

27. Justin Case says:

Hey mister Insurance man, play along with me,
    I’ve got jingle jangle plastic things in a public storage facility.

No security cameras? Must be one of those first month free places. Maybe Paris Hilton took them to pay her fines.

28. Joseph A says:

um remember the rumor is that he is EXTREMELY CHEAP… so maybe he didn’t want to add onto a room to display his memorabilia…. just stick it in a shack somewhere in case he needs it sometime.

29. Harry says:

Are you guys serious? all you “well i guess they didnt mean much to him” people make me sick! Maybe he’s not so full of himself, maybe he doesnt wanna see something showing what a great player he was in every corner of his house, maybe he’s not a pompous ass, and who cares if they were in a storage facility, they are his and he can do what he will with them, this just happened to be a “news worthy” story and maybe he had plans to build a trophy room, maybe he didnt, who cares…. This is a man who accomplished a great deal, and had some sentimental items stolen from him, end of story, man i wish the news hadnt reported the fact they were in storage to shut all you degenerates up! whether they were in storage or in his house doesnt change the context in which the story should be viewed. If it does, then your a A-HOLE

30. I agree with Harry! Isn’t the FACT that someone stole them the point?! Wealth envy sucks and will be the downfall of our country. All of you and the thieves are the problem!

31. Mike Hayes says:

I would have built a shed if I were him.

But, if I were him, I would have said something about me and my big serve ruining the sport and would have suggested reversing course on the aspect of racket technology, to a returning to wood or aluminum rackets. (Keeping the over-sized style.)

Pete, you didn’t really deserve all those trophies, the icons of the sport would have destroyed you in a different and better era.

32. Eric says:

Really too bad. Hope he gets them back.

However. Public storage facility?! Seriously? For those kinds of things with the money he most probably has? That’s not where I would have stored them. I’d have had a room in the house had I been able to accomplish something like that. So suprising to read that detail.

Anyhow, best of luck to him.

33. Alexander Graham Bell (fake one) says:

Public storage or not, now the whole world know these are stolen, how can the thief benefit ?

1. there are always private collectors willing to pay big money for things like this, stolen or not.

34. Diane says:

Pete had put his items into TEMPORARY storage at a secure facility (not the name brand Public Storage place) while he finished some work on the house he just moved into in Brentwood. The LA Times story has more info. Honestly, some of the comments on this story cause me great concern for the city of Los Angeles.

35. NoGuff says:

Now I’m the winner of 64 tour title wins, two Davis Cups, and an Olympic ring. I feel so proud, you know, all that hard work and dedication. It really pays off in the end. I just wish the video of all those wins existed, you know?

What an idiot! Hey Pete, ever heard of keeping these things in your home? Or in a SECURE place? Damn!

36. Jennifer says:

Wow! STOP BLAMING THE VICTIM! Those mementos were hard earned and I don’t care if he left the trophies out on his front lawn. No one had the right to take them.

37. Mitch Pawl says:

If these trophies were soooo important, why did he put them in a public storage locker and not in his home?

Is is also stupid?

38. Maya says:

He was renovating his house people. That is why some, no all of the trophies were in storage to prevent them from being damaged. This had to be an inside job. Only his unit gets broken into. Also, they can’t sell the stuff because anyone one that is a fan of tennis would know that the stuff is stolen and Pete would have never parted with the items.