Tale Of The Tape: Winter Olympics In Sochi Vs. FIFA World Cup In Brazil
- Corruption AllegationsAllegations of corruption are said to be about billions of dollars. It’s alleged that Olympic construction bills were padded and as much as $30 billion may have been stolen.Price discrepancies and the building of more stadiums than required headlined the corruption alleged in the World Cup in Brazil. Brazil built 12 stadiums when the required number was only nine. The $900 million stadium in Brasilia won’t even be used after the World Cup has ended as there is no native team to play there.
- Cost$50 billion…. Maybe? That’s their story and they are sticking to it.$11.5 billion
- PreparationEveryone remember the issues with the hotels? The water was brown, keys to doors were not operational and some hotels weren’t even completed. U.S. bobsledder Johnny Quinn was locked in the bathroom and had to break his way out.One of Brazil’s main preparation issues were the unfinished airports. Also, a day before the opening match, Brazil was still scrambling to finish five out of the 12 stadiums.
- SupportSochi had its share of unpopularity. Members of the LGBTQ community heavily protested the games. President Putin even signed a decree banning all demonstrations. Protests landed members of the band Pussy Riot to be detained.Protestors set fires in the streets and clashed with riot police hours before the opening match in Sao Paolo in protest of how much the government has spent on hosting the World Cup.
- Play ConditionsMany athletes were concerned about a couple of the courses’ conditions. The slope style, downhill, and half pipe were seen as very dangerous leaving athletes from various countries upset.Weathered lines are clearly visible on the field in Amazonia Arena in Manaus. Yellow patches of grass surround on of the goals. The extreme weather conditions in Manaus make it difficult to remedy the issues.
The problems in Sochi were consistantly talked about during the entire games. With the World Cup in full swing, the initial problems in Brazil are not in the headlines anymore. With that, Sochi is our worst host of 2014.