Jason Aldean Cancels SoCal Performances After Vegas Shooting

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA/AP) — Country music performer Jason Aldean, who was on stage when the Las Vegas shooting began, has announced he will be canceling three upcoming shows in the Southland.

Aldean was scheduled to play in Los Angeles, Chula Vista and Anaheim in wake of Sunday’s deadly shooting at the Route 91 Harvest festival.

“As a result of what happened in Las Vegas this week, we have decided to cancel this coming weekend’s shows,” read a statement posted to Aldean’s website Tuesday.

“I feel like out of respect for the victims, their families and our fans, it is the right thing to do. It has been an emotional time for everyone involved this week, so we plan to take some time to mourn the ones we have lost and be close with our family and friends.”

Aldean said he plans to resume his tour on October 12 in Tulsa, Oklahoma but anticipates taking the stage again will be difficult.

“Our first time back onstage will be a very tough and emotional thing for us, but we will all get through it together and honor the people we lost by doing the only thing we know dow to do – play our songs for them,” the statement continued.

“I hope everyone understands why we can’t play this weekend and I’m sorry if anyone is disappointed.”

Refunds are available at the point of sale.

His remarks Tuesday followed statements made hours earlier on social media, in which Aldean issued a rallying cry for Americans to come together in the wake of the tragedy.

The singer wrote something had “changed” in the world, making it “the kind of place I am afraid to raise my children in.”

“At the end of the day we aren’t Democrats or Republicans, whites or blacks, men or women. We are all humans and we are all Americans and it’s time to start acting like it and stand together as one!”

“My heart aches for the victims and their families of this senseless act,” Aldean wrote on Instagram , adding: “Time to come together and stop the hate!”

Celine Dion and Donny and Marie Osmond were scheduled to return to the stage in Las Vegas Tuesday.

Wayne Newton said his shows would continue as scheduled.

Jennifer Lopez, who also has a residency in the city, at Planet Hollywood, postponed shows scheduled for Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

In a statement the singer said she was “heartbroken” by such a “senseless tragedy.”

(© Copyright 2017 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Los Angeles

facebook.com/CBSLA
Plan Your Trip
Follow Us On Twitter

Watch & Listen LIVE