UCLA Freshman Raises Eyebrows By Emailing List Of Demands To Roommates She Hasn’t Yet Met

WESTWOOD  (CBSLA.com) — One of the trickier parts of navigating dorm life is getting along with the roommate(s).

Many college students do their best to try to get along or bond right away.

But one incoming freshman named Ashly has clearly gotten off on the wrong foot. She emailed a list of demands to her roommates, and she hasn’t even met them.

The girl’s prospective roommates posted the letter on Twitter and Instagram.

It read in part, “I DO NOT want the single bunk where it has a desk underneath the top bunk so don’t try to leave me with that.”

She also let them know, “I’m taking one of the white closets.”

Many students CBS2’s Amy Johnson spoke to called the letter “rude” or worse.

Some expressed shock over the email.

“It’s kinda harsh,” said one student.

Ashly also went on to say, “I want the desk that’s near the window. Plain and simple. I don’t care who gets the bottom bunk…just now what I stated above is what I’m expecting once I arrive at the dorm.”

She didn’t end there.

“I won’t be in the mood for any arguing or other nonsense because one of you two decided to deliberately disregard this email.”

Student Kathy Han, also a freshman, was taken aback.

“She’s a freshman right?” Han said, “And I just thought, coming in, you want to have the best relationship with all your roommates, and I don’t think that is how she handled that.”

The email in question was reportedly sent two days after Ashly sent another but got no response from her future roommates.

“I think it was just kind of weird for her to assume they were ignoring her,” says freshmen Cindy Ngo. “It was just a day or two.”

When one of the roommates wrote back to say she wasn’t ignoring the email, Ashley reportedly wrote back that she’s “not a people person.” She also said she could be “really chill” or “like a ticking time bomb.”

Because she felt ignored, Ashly also reportedly wrote, “Sorry but not that sorry for the attitude. I don’t like being ignored because that’s just rude but that’s what you both decided to do so I decided to make it clear now on the kind of person I am and what I will and will not take.”

Han said she didn’t think the demands were as outrageous as the way she said them.

“She could have been nicer and compromised with her roommates,” Han said.

Winnie, one of Ashly’s prospective roommates, wrote to Johnson and said, “I don’t feel comfortable taking this situation further than it already is. I respect Ashly’s wishes, and she is probably already going through a rough time.”

Johnson contacted the school and UCLA said they were “aware of the situation” and added they reached out to everyone involved and want to end it amicably so the students can enjoy life on campus as Bruins.

Comments

1. Oh Goody says:

Freshman, not freshmen. This girl needs therapy and her prospective roommates should not have to put up with her.

2. Michelle Fettig says:

My response:

Dear rommie, I will not be bossed around, instructed how to handle my correspondence,or be allow a person to treat me rudely. I will be open to friendly discussion that is inclusive of all our wants. Location of a desk is a “want” having access to room and board is a “need” – I think it is safe to assume you tend to get what you want. I am giving you some free advice, lets call it your first college class. Life isn’t fair. Learning to negotiate and compromise will make your college experience more enjoyable. Please be aware my life does not revolve around you and your need, moods, complaints.

I hope this is one of the college stories we end up laughing about over pizza. Looking forward to starting this new chapter with all the freshmen!

3. GenXer says:

This girl is going to be entering the workforce in a handful of years. Can you imagine the letter she writes to her prospective boss when applying for jobs? And she’s going to show up on her first day (or maybe prior to her first day), and demand a corner office, $60k/Yr salary, 3 weeks of vacation per year, and let everybody know that she’s a moody not-a-people-person? Please.

4. The “ticking time bomb” sounds a bit dangerous. Better search her for weapons. what a jerk.

5. Larry Budzinski says:

Sounds like a very, very spoiled brat in sore need of a reality and attitude adjustment. I guaranty she will receive that soon after she moves in and, most likely, out.

6. Jean Frank says:

I doubt the young lady will make it through first semester. She has some serious growing up that needs to happen before she is ready to handle college.

7. Juan Sanchez Villa Lobos Ramirez says:

I’ll take “Ways To Arrive On Campus With All Of Your Furniture In A Pile In The Hallway” for a thousand, Alex.