LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com/AP) — A judge has ordered Target Corp. to stop work on a partly built Hollywood store that exceeded height regulations.
Superior Court Judge Richard Fruin sided with two community groups who claimed that the 74-foot-tall structure located at 5220 Sunset Blvd. should have never been approved as the retailer’s plan was developed in a neighborhood where project size is restricted.
The court said the City Council must invalidate permits for the project and halt all construction.
KCAL9’s Laurie Perez spoke with city officials regarding the fate of the construction project.
Workers Thursday remained on-site even though a judge had ordered Target last week to stop construction.
Target has asked the 2nd District Court of Appeal to let work proceed so that opening remains on schedule. A foundation, walls and a roof have already been built.
In a statement, attorney Robert Silverstein hailed the legal victory and called the construction plan the latest in a “landscape of violations of the law in Hollywood”.
“The half-built Target store is a monument to City Hall’s contempt for the law,” said Silverstein. “The Target store fiasco is symptomatic of LA City Hall’s culture of backroom deal-making, secrecy and law-breaking.
A spokesperson for the City Attorney’s office told KNX 1070’s Claudia Peschiutta the allegation is without merit and they’re analyzing what, if any, work may continue on the complex.Comments (3)