OC Teen Arrested In Threats Made Against Surfing Competition On Social Media
HUNTINGTON BEACH (CBSLA.com) — An unidentified 16-year-old Huntington Beach boy is in custody after he made terrorist threats against the Vans U.S. Open of Surfing, authorities said.
The teen was arrested Friday around 7 p.m. by the Huntington Beach Police Department.
He will be charged with making terrorist threats after he’s booked into the Orange County Juvenile Hall, officials said. He’s not being identified because he’s a minor.
The popular annual surfing competition is slated to begin at 8 a.m. Saturday and attracts big crowds. A riot at last year’s event has prompted Huntington Beach authorities to amp security this weekend and scale back free entertainment.
Police would not explain the threat in detail but said it was made on social media and posted Thursday.
Investigators determined the threat was credible, police said.
After serving a search warrant at the boy’s house, police said, a handgun and shotgun were located at the residence. They said the teen had access to both weapons.
His electronic devices are being searched for additional evidence.
At this time, authorities said, it appears the boy acted alone.
The investigation into the threats is continuing.