Unattended Candle Does $80K In Damage To San Clemente Home

SAN CLEMENTE (CBSLA.com)   —  An unattended lighted candle sparked a fire that tore through a San Clemente home Sunday causing about $80,000 in damage and loss.

The single-family structure fire was reported at 12:47 p.m. in the 60th block of Via Regalo, Capt. Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority said.

Authorities used this fire to remind the public to extinguish any candle in a room that is unattended.

The burning candle was left alone in a second-floor bathroom, where the fire originated, Concialdi said.

The house had a sprinkler system that helped contain the flames.

Forty firefighters arrived and knocked the fire down by 1:09 p.m., Concialdi said.

There was an estimated $50,000 in structural damage and $30,000 in property loss, he said.

No injuries were reported.

It’s unclear whether someone was home at the time, according to Concialdi, who said there was a similar fire about aweek ago in San Clemente in 28800 block of Via de Luna that also originated from an unattended lit candle.

A 3-year-old suffered smoke inhalation in that blaze, Concialdi said.

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Los Angeles

KNX 1070 Newsradio
Play.It

Listen Live