LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The father of a 19-year-old man who was fatally shot by Pasadena police officers two years ago has settled a wrongful death lawsuit against the city.
Kenneth McDade agreed to a settlement Tuesday as trial was to get underway, court records showed.
Last week, the victim’s mother, Anya Slaughter, settled her part of the suit.
In March 2012, Kendrec McDade was shot eight times by officers Mathew Griffin and Jeffrey Newlen.
Police said the officers believed McDade had a weapon because a 911 caller, Oscar Carrillo-Gonzalez, said he was robbed of his backpack by armed suspects.
Carrillo-Gonzalez later said he lied about the weapon because he thought it would get police to the scene faster. He was convicted of making a false report and pleaded guilty last year to two misdemeanor charges.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office concluded that “the officers acted in lawful self-defense and defense of others.”
The Pasadena Police Department said the officers acted within departmental policy.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)